Help me Identify this 3S-GTE?

Saavedro88

A local-to-me JDM importer has an engine that he states
  • came from an ST205 (unknown what year, exactly), however when I went to look at it, it had an Air to Air intercooler, and writing on the ECU t
hat says "92 Celica." On the other hand, it had the larger, 4 runner intake manifold, which was his argument for saying it "definitely came from an ST205."

Can anyone help me figure this out for sure? Is there a number on the block that I could reference? Thanks in advance!

https://imgur.com/819Hga6
https://i.imgur.com/F20G7fy
819Hga6.jpg

F20G7fy.jpg

Tecker185

Wouldn’t make sense to do that to a st205 because it does not have the scoop to allow air to go threw. Possible it was swapped into the 92 celica like the writing states.

Saavedro88

Tecker185":2srxd996 said:
Wouldn’t make sense to do that to a st205 because it does not have the scoop to allow air to go threw. Possible it was swapped into the 92 celica like the writing states.

Hmm. That's an interesting suggestion.

Tecker185

The two plugs by the ecu make me belive the motor came out of an st185. So its a gen3 that came out of a st185 is my guess.

underscore

As others have said, looks to be a 205 engine made to work in a 185. It definitely has a 185 trans attached to it which supports this.

Saavedro88

underscore":3maxrv1v said:
It definitely has a 185 trans attached to it which supports this.

What's the tell for that?
And what's the benefit of having either the 205 or 185 transmission versus the other? (Which one is better?)

Tecker185

There is a selector on the transfer-case on the st185 and not on the st205. The st205 trans is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saavedro88

Tecker185":2o8ik9cj said:
There is a selector on the transfer-case on the st185 and not on the st205. The st205 trans is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent information. Thank you guys so much.

I remember when I went to check out this motor. Had me pretty confused when I first looked at it because of the way the labeled it. It's definently a 3rd gen motor with a 185 transmission.

Saavedro88

Mr Alltrac":2fifuq5m said:
I remember when I went to check out this motor. Had me pretty confused when I first looked at it because of the way the labeled it. It's definently a 3rd gen motor with a 185 transmission.

Did you tell him that? Because he was trying to tell me 100% it was from a 205, and I was like, I really don't think so man. Also, when did you go to see it? Because he said they just got it in...