Fuel tank capacity and low fuel light. .

FC Zach

For the longest time I thought the AllTrac had around a 15-16 gallon capacity tank because when my low fuel light comes on and I fill up, I typically add ~14 gallons. I guessed that total capacity from assuming the industry standard is 1-2 gallon remaining after the low light illuminates. Because I really wasn't sure of the specifications, I searched and found specs in multiple threads stating 17.9 gallons (although, all these specs were for GT-Fours). Is this true for all trims regardless of destination? If so then I wont be puckering up so tight the next time the light comes on and I don't know where the next station is :rofl:

With all that said, how many gallons are you guys adding after the low light comes on? I'm curious if what I'm seeing is normal or if my level sender arm needs to be tweaked because filling up with four extra gallons on tap seems unnecessary.

Magroo

I've often wondered this myself. I plan on dropping the tank some time this summer and upgrading the fuel pump with a denso supra TT I bought some time last year. Typically it fills up about 13.5-14 gallons when the fuel light comes on.

What I'll probably do is completely drain the tank and add like 5 gallons to it and get down to the gas's station and see how much more it takes to top off.

Knowing Toyota they probably did leave a 4 gallon window.

FC Zach

Magroo":fgjclkga said:
I've often wondered this myself. . .

What I'll probably do is completely drain the tank and add like 5 gallons to it and get down to the gas's station and see how much more it takes to top off.

Today on the way to work I figured out the tank capacity. . . after my car started sputtering on the highway :doh: LOL I'd say my calculations were off a little. Normally I fill up with ~14gal after the low light comes on ~310mi. So assuming there were ~4gal on reserve, I figured I get at least another 60mi (with my car getting 22mpg on average) on the trip/odometer, making a total of ~370mi and still have another gallon reserve but I was wrong. I added 2gal on the side of the interstate and an additional 15 at the station so I can say with certainty that it's a 17.9gal tank capacity.

As for my calculations. . they were probably off due to driving a little less conservatively than I should prior to starting this test :) and maybe even possibly not factoring in the difference in tire size. . Anyways, the car started sputtering on the interstate with 355mi on the trip/odo. So in the future, regardless of how conservative I drive, I now know the limitations.

Your mileage may vary :wink:

underscore

In my experience Toyota has very cautious fuel gauges. By that I mean they tend to read lower than you really are. When it reads 1/4 in my wife's Matrix it's actually 1/2, and when the light comes on you're at 1/4. That said I don't like to run low as it's hard on the pump, and it seems risky in a boosted car since going lean can cause big damage.

FC Zach

underscore":9cemk31i said:
That said I don't like to run low as it's hard on the pump, and it seems risky in a boosted car since going lean can cause big damage.

I agree with you there but for the sake of science I figured it wouldn't hurt to do this once. Plus, it's not like I was making passes down the strip :) the engine was pulling vacuum and at ~3k rpm. Now that I know the limitations I'll go no more than 330 to a tank in the future. . Pending what I see when filling up at that trip after more conservative driving.

FC Zach

Last Saturday I filled up with non ethanol and for the most part I have driven conservatively with maybe a few spirited runs here and there. . Yesterday on the way to work I noticed my trip showed ~330 miles and the low fuel light wasn't on! I purposely didn't fill up (knowing the limitations from the last go-round) and drove into work today with 357 on the clock (really ~375 factoring in tire size) and still more room to go! but not wanting to push it, I filled up with 15gal. . That's a whopping 25MPG! ! Normally I get on average 19-22, maybe a 23 on occasion with mixed city/highway.

There's no doubt that staying out of boost had a lot to do with it but I'm sure the non ethanol did as well! I'm going to try another tank of non ethanol in the future to see if I get about the same again.

FC Zach

Correction: I returned to the station I last filled up with non ethanol and noticed that it was 87 only. . Good thing I wasn't hard on the car with this tank.