Anyone had issues with replacement clutch release cylinders?

FC Zach

Years ago while trying to fix a clutch problem I installed a new slave cylinder and compared to the one I took off (presumably OE), it was larger and I remember having to grind areas to make it fit. That cylinder failed on me last Friday so I replaced it with one from a different parts store and although it was a similar design, I feel like I had to grind more material from it than the last, specifically from around the bolt hole closest to the bleed screw since there wasn't enough room for the bolt to seat flush.

I also had to use longer bolts because the mounting ears/tabs/whatever-you-call-them were thicker and I was afraid that 10 or less mm of remaining bolt thread would have stripped the trans holes.

Has anyone else dealt with this?

Here's what OE looks like. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of the replacement before installation but it's a noticeably different casting with less surface between the bolt hole and where the bleed screw casting starts.
42851000915_fe6dede277_o.jpg

Anyways, I would have opted for a Beck/Arnley or other quality part but this was in stock and I needed to get this done ASAP since it is my daily. If there is a next time I will be going that route.

yyonline

Get the Aisin cylinder from Rockauto. Those are the OEM cylinders.

Or just get the rebuild kit from Toyota. There's really not much to a slave cylinder and they're very easy to rebuild as long as the bore isn't pitted.

FC Zach

No rebuilding anything since I no longer have the OE part and even if I did, it's really not worth doing since they are so cheap you can buy a replacement cylinder for about as much as a rebuild kit.

If this happens again, I'll just buy another but one closer to the OE design that won't require grinding.