ST185 CS/RC Intercooler Pump Mounting

RedCelicaTRD

Does anyone have any pics of how the intercooler pump is mounted on a CS/RC? I'll be mounting a pump to my ST185 and I don't think I've ever seen a pic of the factory mounting.

alltracman78

There's a bracket that comes with the pump. It mounts to the L frame rail on the bottom front.
If you have a 92 [same year as the homologation cars] there's a pretty good chance all the bolt holes will have the threaded inserts welded in.
Otherwise only 1 or 2 will have the threaded inserts. The rest will be open holes.

IIRC the 205 pump bracket is similar but not identical. I can't remember if it will bolt onto a 185 or not; it's been a while since I've been under there.

RedCelicaTRD

My car is a '90 so I'll have to take a look and see what I have as far as threaded holes. Should be pretty easy to add some rivet nuts to the other holes. My pump is from a 205, maybe I'll look into getting a 185 pump for simplicity and not having to drill new holes.

alltracman78

The pumps are the same [the wiring's different, but that's irrelevant], it's the bracket that might be different. And IIRC you don't need all the bolts to hold it securely.

alltracman78

I just took a quick look under my Alltrac to jog my memory a little bit.
The bracket is 3 pieces plus 2 formed rubber sheets that wrap around between the pump and mount to cushion.

The first piece actually goes over the stud the radiator overflow tank is mounted to on the side. It has a bolt above the stud and continues below into an L shape to go partially under the front frame rail. There are 2 bolt holes in the bottom of the frame rail for it.

The second and third are half moon pieces that wrap around the pump itself. The upper half moon bolts to the top "L" bracket.

I took some pictures but they're too large for the gallery here and I don't have an image storage service.
If you want to PM me your email I'll email them to you.