Lady luck or common to find

lalojamesliz1

I received the st205 swap I ordered and I got another wrc version :D
The one on my all-trac and this one. Just luck or are they common to find?
I know lists of people say the turbo is the regular ceramic ct20b but I'm going to find out with this engine
Is that a egt reader? :|

Attachments

• rps20190416_123243.jpg
    rps20190416_123243.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 2,848
  • rps20190416_124331.jpg
    rps20190416_124331.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 2,846

underscore

I believe Japan had 2500 WRC versions, so there's bound to be a few out there.

The probe is a switch, it turns on a light if it gets too hot to indicate your cat may be plugged up.

lalojamesliz1

CMS-GT4":tol8kurq said:
Removing the probe will have no effect on the ecu if you go with a downpipe.
underscore":tol8kurq said:
I believe Japan had 2500 WRC versions, so there's bound to be a few out there.

The probe is a switch, it turns on a light if it gets too hot to indicate your cat may be plugged up.

I was thinking it wouldn't have a effect since I don't have one on my 3" downpipe. Well it's nice to have something interesting

lalojamesliz1

I touched the nut and wheel with a magnet and nothing stuck. Just the housing

Attachments

• rps20190416_194847.jpg
    rps20190416_194847.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 2,813

lalojamesliz1

CMS-GT4":3vvfnuvo said:
Here is the link I looked at. Looks like ceramic like you said. https://www.mr2oc.com/61-3sgte-turbo/47 ... eries.html

I forgot the name of the shop I called recently to ask about rebuilding my ct20b but I remember them offering a inconel upgrade. If I were to shatter one of these turbos I'd probably do that if if I remember the name of the shop :D
It's on the way to Arizona from where I live. I remember that because I was going to drop off my turbo on my way to Arizona.

lalojamesliz1

Lady luck decided to kick me in the nu**!

I was about to remove the trans and decided to do a quick compression test since this will be the only chance I get on this engine. I used a large agm odyssey battery I have in my garage with my heavy duty jumper cables and cylinder 1 got to 120psi then it stopped. I tried it again and all I got was a loud click. I switched starters with the one in my all-trac and still just a loud click so I switched power sources to one of my cars with the engine running and still nothing. It tried to turn the crank pulley with a large socket wrench but it was stuck.
I then tried to turn it the opposite way and it worked but then got stuck again before it makes the full rotation :shoots: :pissed:
I know I didn't drop anything into the throttle body and I have the transmission in neutral and even tried it in gear with the same results. I removed the starter and looked inside the bell housing while my son turned the engine by hand until it got stuck again in both directions but I couldn't see anything wrong or loose.
I contacted the seller through Ebay and called the seller's number and they were already closed. Fortunately they replied to my ebay message and asked for a video.
What do you guys think it can be? I'm guessing a stuck valve. I had this happen with a Ford 5.0 mustang engine that sat for years and it was a stuck valve.

underscore

Hard to say until you pull the valve cover or oil pan off, a similar thing happened with a car a buddy bought ages back and it had a bent connecting rod from being run out of oil.

lalojamesliz1

underscore":2n0o4n2d said:
Hard to say until you pull the valve cover or oil pan off, a similar thing happened with a car a buddy bought ages back and it had a bent connecting rod from being run out of oil.

Oh man that's way worse than just a stuck valve.... I told the seller in my email we can try to work out a deal or i can send it back. I'm supposed to get a reply from them in the morning. I'd be happy to do that because the engine is the lowest priority fr the parts I want. If they refund a good amount I'll take it. If not then I'll send it back and buy another swap I saw online.
I wanted to open it up and loo to see what it can be but that would void the warranty I'm sure

I'm at work right now and a friend of mine is going to let me borrow his scope camera. I dont know if that will help much but it's better than nothing. I'll check the engine when I get home. Now that I know its possible to have a bent rod I'm worried about keeping it. The turbo has very little shaft play like my current ct20b.
Any suggestion on how to check a engine that was ran dry of oil?

I would suggest you removal all spark plugs and determine if the point of the engine stopping (in both rotational directions) is at the top of one of the cylinders - then put your scope down that spark plug hole. It's possible one of the valves on a particular cylinder may be stuck open. If this is a JDM engine that has been sitting around a very long time near the coast, its possible that those valves there were open (due to crank/cam position when last turned) may have corroded from the elements and is either rusted/stuck open, or had enough corrosion that when the cam opened it, it won't retract under spring force. I suppose a broken valve spring could also be a cause.

Magroo

3sgte is a non interference motor. Even if a valve was stuck open like if the timing belt broke. Wouldnt the engine still rotate freely?

underscore

If the valve was completely open I think it would, but if it's even slightly less than fully open I would think the cam would jam on the valve, which it turn stops everything else via the timing belt.

Magroo

Right, I see where you're going. I was only thinking about the Pistons hitting the valve and not about the camshaft getting stuck on a stuck valve.

I was thinking there could also be rust inside one of the cylinders that the Rings are getting stuck on?

Yes I agree need to pull the spark plugs and see what's going on if you can see anything inside the cylinders.

lalojamesliz1

I removed the valve cover (because they told me i can) and I can press down all of the buckets away from the cams and I sent a video to the seller. They told me they sent a email to their seller in Japan or wherever and then they will get back to me about what's next and I should know by tomorrow morning. I asked if I can remove the trans and was told not to.
I'm beginning to get impatient and upset :pissed:

Magroo":jy0uahmu said:
3sgte is a non interference motor. Even if a valve was stuck open like if the timing belt broke. Wouldnt the engine still rotate freely?
If it's a non-interference engine, you are right. And now that I think about it, I believe you are correct that the 3S-GTE is a non-interference engine. So my thought should be ignored. Thanks for the clarification, Magroo.

msanders2

Most likely a stuck wrist pin. This happened on a gen5 we bought from a importer. The motors sit with no oil circulating in them some it’s common for the wrist pins to stick. Pull the pan and spray some WD40 on the underside of the pistons. Should be able to turn it over by hand after.