Concentrated effort on getting Toyota to make parts

80's Kid

I've been in contact with the Canadian Toyota CEO's office for a while to ask about parts stock, and in the meantime I've also pushed them to try and resume manufacturing of some of their old parts for these cars. I talked about how Mercedes, BMW and other brands take care of their legacy vehicles, and Toyota should as well. Even Nissan said it will start making parts for their early GTR. Come on, are the Celicas just going to be forgotten and left to rust in some junkyard over time? Maybe we could get Toyota to make parts for their other old classics, we know there are collectors out there. I've looked at AE86 aftermarket parts btw, and they seem to be more readily available than for our beloved Celicas. Why is it that the Celicas are a forgotten car?

Maybe if a lot of us called Toyota and made similar requests regarding parts manufacturing, they would think about it.

In case anyone wants to try, here is the US site: https://www.toyota.com/support/contact-us

Here is the Canadian number: 1-888-869-6828, try extension 3317. If that extension no longer works, try just calling the main number and go from there.

underscore

Over here at least I think they're forgotten because rally wasn't a big deal, in Europe where it's more popular they seem to have a bit more of a following but still less than they should in my opinion.

As for heritage parts Toyota had massive stock of a lot of parts for a long time, it's only been the last few years that stuff has really been drying up. Of course people hoarding parts (I saw one guy buy like 10 ST205 intercooler badges) and picking up rare parts to put on their standard cars (cough RC bumpers cough) dwindles the supply, but compared to brands like Honda and Chrysler (who I've had discontinue parts less than 10 years after a model went out of production) Toyota did pretty well. Hopefully at some point they'll bring back stock for some stuff but seeing how long it took for the old supplies to run out of some things they might not be in a rush to do that.

underscore

I could be completely wrong though, I know Toyota reuses parts all over the place so a few things do benefit from greater availability if they were used on a newer vehicle as well, but for anything specific to these cars (like body parts) we're in a bit of a pinch. I know I'm keeping my GTS as an emergency reserve for parts should anything bad happen to my RC.

Numbchux

I worked in a Subaru dealership parts department for many years, and our service department would work on anything that came through the door (they used to also carry Chrysler, Jeep and Mazda. So developed many loyal customers who drove all sorts of brands). So I was ordering stuff for many different vehicles.

Toyota might be the best of the major manufacturers for parts availability for their older vehicles. I've purchased many many things for my '87 4Runner and both my Celicas over the years (I'm doing a 1UZ swap on my 4Runner right now, so buying a lot of parts lately).

Ford can't even decode the VIN on my '94 Econoline :shrug:

More would be awesome. But at this vintage, it's likely up to the aftermarket to keep us going.

peteomalone

I feel the pain. The last two parts I bought from Toyota were the last ones in US inventory. Looking now, they are listed as discontinued.