Damn spark plug

lalojamesliz1

I finally got a chance to take apart that gen3 that wouldn't turn over.
Cylinder wall damage and cylinder head damage. I found some broken pieces of spark plug porcelain on the piston
Can this be repaired?

Attachments

• rps20190521_211635.jpg
    rps20190521_211635.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 1,784
  • rps20190521_211551.jpg
    rps20190521_211551.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 1,784
  • rps20190521_211503.jpg
    rps20190521_211503.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,784

Magroo

I'm not an expert and just guessing but I would say yes its repairable, but is it worth the cost.

By the looks of it, the cylinders would need to be overbored, and new pistons and rings. Would also need new main and rod bearings along with polishing the crank, and cleaning all of the oil passages just incase any debris made its way in to the crank case.

Its hard to tell from thr pictures, but the head could probably be fixed by someone with a tig welder and some experience.

Again though. Is it worth the cost? Your probably looking at an easy $2k or more.

lalojamesliz1

Magroo":3fwkv9am said:
I'm not an expert and just guessing but I would say yes its repairable, but is it worth the cost.

By the looks of it, the cylinders would need to be overbored, and new pistons and rings. Would also need new main and rod bearings along with polishing the crank, and cleaning all of the oil passages just incase any debris made its way in to the crank case.

Its hard to tell from thr pictures, but the head could probably be fixed by someone with a tig welder and some experience.

Again though. Is it worth the cost? Your probably looking at an easy $2k or more.

:( well crap.....
I have a friend that is a good welder that I can ask to fill the head then get it milled. I was more interested in keeping the bottom end but it needs a full rebuild huh.
For sure I'm keeping the turbo, water neck and a few sensors. Probably the injectors as well. Anything else that you suggest I keep? It's the wrc version with antilag piping and other features but the one installed in my car is the same version and I think it's the European version because it has a egr valve already installed. Very useful for living in California :D
I'd like to just machine the block and install oversized pistons but I remember seeing that gen3 blocks can have thin cylinder walls already.

Magroo

I feel your pain, I too have a paperweight sitting in my shed. I've been toying with the idea of building a 5sgte out of since the bottom end has a spun bearing and unknown damage internally but the head is still good.

98 camry blocks are pretty stout and are pretty cheap. That is another route you could take. Just keep in mind these cars are money pits and it only ends when you want it to end.

My car is running and driving, it's not really leaking anything and the only thing that's really broken is the power antenna. I figure if I leave that broken nothing else will break.

underscore

Magroo":advzuuuk said:
My car is running and driving, it's not really leaking anything and the only thing that's really broken is the power antenna. I figure if I leave that broken nothing else will break.

My antenna is broken too, good call on not fixing it so nothing else can break :lol:

lalojamesliz1

You guys are smart. I should have left my antenna broken.....
I'm just happy I got this engine almost free (in my eyes) since the seller refunded a good chunk of the price I paid for the complete swap. I paid about 1250 for the swap delivered to my garage.
The main things to me are the transmission I needed, the catalytic converter, spare turbo, spare ecu and spare everything else from the swap besides the damaged longblock. I'll probably just sell the complete head,intake and exhaust manifold with its antilag goodies. Man I wish we could get that antilag going :shrug:

FC Zach

Magroo":gnzm1c15 said:
. . . the only thing that's really broken is the power antenna. I figure if I leave that broken nothing else will break.

So that's how it works? ! ? Duly Noted! :wink: