Stories from the yard

sefiroxx

Had a loose side mirror...time to replace that cast aluminum piece that sits between the window frame support and the mirror itself. Have had the 91 since new and this is likely the 3rd or 4th time I've had to replace this piece.

Off to the yard, found a 5th gen gts in a yard on the south side of town. I'll see what's left to score.

Got there, found a gts, a gt, and a coupe of 6th gen gt's. Barely touched - huh?

Granted, it's a relatively small family yard, so not part of a chain, so might not have been marketed that well. But still, I remember 10 years ago having to scramble to get to a yard quickly to get the parts before everyone else did - especially pop up's, mirrors etc. Popularity of these 5th gens in and around Dallas/Fort Worth must have dropped.

Picked up for the parts bin:
- 2 sets of the cast aluminum pieces
- full set of weather stripping for both sides
- carbon fiber hood trim pieces
- heater control valve (replaced mine once already, figured I should get an extra on hand)

Will have to check my parts bin to see if I have extra pop ups to make sure I have extras there as well.

r-town

sefiroxx":3fl7w7zw said:
But still, I remember 10 years ago having to scramble to get to a yard quickly to get the parts before everyone else did - especially pop up's, mirrors etc. Popularity of these 5th gens in and around Dallas/Fort Worth must have dropped.

With LKQ taking over most yards here in SoCal, if you don't go quickly, the car typically gets crushed within 2-3 weeks.

sefiroxx

Picknpull has most of the yards in dfw, these yards typically run 4-5 months. The small private yards typically run 8-9 months.

r-town

sefiroxx":3u005l8e said:
Picknpull has most of the yards in dfw, these yards typically run 4-5 months. The small private yards typically run 8-9 months.

Luckily on my last visit, it was 40% off and manage to get a complete set of 92-93 tail lights with center garnish.