Excited to back on the road

Wilrayca

After years of looking at my '91 sitting in the garage, this was finally the year to get it back on the road. Owned it since '99 but I had not done anything to the car since 2006, except for occasional starting. New battery, fluids, timing belt and it is running like a champ. Had to replace the dry rot tires as well. Re-coned the door subs, finally installed my leather seat covers that I bought in 2009. Done almost 1000K already and no issues, except for the power antenna failing. I know things will come up, but I am amazed at how well it has come back to life.
Although the last time I played with it, parts were much easier to find. And I'm super bummed out that the RC bumper and hood are almost impossible to get a hold of. Always wanted those, just couldn't afford it back then.
And the looks you get from people that know what these cars are is awesome!

Attachments

• IMG_3824 (2).jpg
    IMG_3824 (2).jpg
    965.7 KB · Views: 1,901
Does your power antennae make a sound at all? If it does, the mast plastic toothed strap is just broken. I think you can order a new mast yet, and sometimes, after removing the mast, you can run the power unit and the broken part of the toothed strap will come out. If not, you have to take the recoil housing apart to remove the broken end. But is is quite easy. I probably have 6 of these as spares, with most working (with replacing those masts only). Just letting you know you can likely fix that antennae issue.

Wilrayca

Ya, antenna is fixed. Had to pull it apart to get the broken part of the cable out, but the new one went right in no problem.

Wilrayca

I bought a couple of 8" rubber speaker foam replacement rings off Amazon. $16. Watched a few videos for any tricks. Just remove the old ones, all of mine fell right off, clean it up and glue the new ones on. Was very easy. Door panel removal was more work than the repair. Lol. Google speaker repair and you will see lots of info. Sounds as good as it did back in the 90's.

Wilrayca":1njarpxt said:
I bought a couple of 8" rubber speaker foam replacement rings off Amazon. $16. Watched a few videos for any tricks. Just remove the old ones, all of mine fell right off, clean it up and glue the new ones on. Was very easy. Door panel removal was more work than the repair. Lol. Google speaker repair and you will see lots of info. Sounds as good as it did back in the 90's.
Did you really use rubber? Or was it foam you used? Those woofer cones were originally suspended by foam.

The question underscore asked was "How did you recone the door subs?". I interpreted that to mean how do you suspend the existing cones in the door subs. If I'm wrong, I apologize. But in this case, keeping the same cones and drivers, those cones were originally suspended with foam, designed for foam suspension. As you say, other speakers may be suspended with rubber surrounds. Both foam and rubber have come a long way since the 1990's. One isn't necessarily better than the other, but cones and drivers tend to be designed with the surround being integral (i.e.; the cones & drivers may be different depending upon if rubber or foam was selected for suspension). On 5th Gen door subs, those were suspended by foam. Hence why I have always re-suspended them with foam. Today's foam won't rot nearly as easily as those available in the 1990's. And rubber is now far better in terms of weight and compliance - but it still has different characteristics.