What's the thoughts on transmission options these days?

crymson

I've been sitting on my 93 for a few years, but I'm getting the itch to get her working again. The input shaft seal on the transmission leaks. I can fix it obviously, but if I'm going to the trouble to get it out, I'm wondering what the options are these days. When i was working on her last the e154f was the thing to do, but they've gotten expensive since then. My transmission only has 99000 miles, but I suspect it's been driven hard.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

crymson

True. My end goal is something fun to drive that i could use in the occasional autocross. I know I can repair the transmission i have, but getting the trans in and out is such a huge PIA in our cars if there's something that isn't going to break the bank and he better than the stock transmission is rather do that now

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

I believe the E150F transmission your 1993 should have in it was a better trans than the 1990-1991 All-Tracs - for sure the synchros were better. This transmissions were mid-ratio type. The E151F transmissions used in the GT-Four RC series is also pretty nice - it is a wide-ratio though, with a higher gear ratios in lower gears. The E152F transmissions used in GT-Four Rally (Japan only) series was a close-ratio with lower gear ratios in the lower gears. The E154F transmissions used in the ST-205's had very similar ratios to the E150F and was a tougher built transmission. If you totally rebuild your E150F with good synchros and all, I don't think you would be sorry. I don't know if the durability of the 154F transmission is so significantly better that it could be guaranteed to last considerably longer than your E150F.

Just my 2 cents though. I'm thinking there are others on this forum who have other transmissions that could offer you their own experiences. We have the 1990 E150F transmissions in our two, and they have been great - but we don't autocross them either.