ST165 - Hoarding parts and recommendations?

earthmanjupiter

Found a pretty rough 165 and impulsively bought it. There happens to be a 162 at the junk yard, showed up about the same time. I've been looting the junk yard car for trim and small motors and the like, but I guess I am wondering how desperate for parts should I be? Should I take the glass? Should I take the rear bumper? Hatch? Door handles? Are there specific pieces that anyone out there would recommend as "must grab" items because they can't be found or wear out?

I guess I kinda have FOMO that I'll get deeper into restoration and wish I had snagged more stuff from this 162.

On the same note a st18x just showed up too, I pulled headlight motors, and it has no run roof, but not sure what else I should even try for - I know not much will fit my RC.

simple

Only part I have hoarded from ST162 are dashboards and steering wheels. Trim pieces around the windows are nice if they are still black. The ST165 has so many unique parts that I find I don't grab much off the lower models.

Redrkt01

I would take what is likely to get damaged when you drive it. So take the headlights and the grille, et cetera. I wouldn't worry about the glass unless you need it.

Make sure you join the ST165 Owners Club on FB.

Also, post pics.

Tippo

earthmanjupiter":1xuwiqur said:
Found a pretty rough 165 and impulsively bought it. There happens to be a 162 at the junk yard, showed up about the same time. I've been looting the junk yard car for trim and small motors and the like, but I guess I am wondering how desperate for parts should I be? Should I take the glass? Should I take the rear bumper? Hatch? Door handles? Are there specific pieces that anyone out there would recommend as "must grab" items because they can't be found or wear out?

I guess I kinda have FOMO that I'll get deeper into restoration and wish I had snagged more stuff from this 162.

On the same note a st18x just showed up too, I pulled headlight motors, and it has no run roof, but not sure what else I should even try for - I know not much will fit my RC.

If you happen upon tweeter covers lmk - i'm looking for a set of those. they are the backing to the mirrors on the driver and passenger door with the ST18x in the yard.

earthmanjupiter

Tippo":33wefxyv said:
earthmanjupiter":33wefxyv said:

If you happen upon tweeter covers lmk - i'm looking for a set of those. they are the backing to the mirrors on the driver and passenger door with the ST18x in the yard.

They're there - but being held on by drywall screws cause the tabs are busted. Seems like you could find better ones!

underscore

Anything that moves I'd grab, ie door handles, lock mechanisms, ignition switch, turn signal and wiper controls, window switches, etc. I'd also grab control arms, knuckles and hubs just in case of a small accident/rust/whatever.