Fuel tank st165

Bori

simple":28477nxk said:
Yeah I soaked the fuel pump assembly and the intake tube in evapo-rust. Worked great!

Good to know. I post pics after it's all cleaned up and painted.

Tippo

Bori":2a2u55ra said:
I just looked up a few products for the rust. (Evapo-Rust ) is one of them. Leaning towards that and letting it soak. There really isn't any bubbling. Mostly surface. Have any of you tried POR-15 for coating? Looking into that too. Thanks for the link "Tippo" and I don't know why the search can't find "Lazarus build". Do you have the link? I'm going to start prepping the tank this weekend.

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=53834

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=53834&start=15

Best of luck! I've done this multiple times in multiple forms of tank condition. Just make sure the pinch welds are free of rust or they WILL continue to rust over time. You can always do a once over, but every bit of rust / rust flakes should be removed before adding paint. Otherwise that's like putting ointment on cancer rather than cutting it out.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but the tank looks like it's in great shape. Either way, you're way better off than you were with that tank. If you paid anything less than $500 you did REALLY well.

Bori

Tippo":pv4qi1t0 said:
Bori":pv4qi1t0 said:
I just looked up a few products for the rust. (Evapo-Rust ) is one of them. Leaning towards that and letting it soak. There really isn't any bubbling. Mostly surface. Have any of you tried POR-15 for coating? Looking into that too. Thanks for the link "Tippo" and I don't know why the search can't find "Lazarus build". Do you have the link? I'm going to start prepping the tank this weekend.

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=53834

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=53834&start=15

Best of luck! I've done this multiple times in multiple forms of tank condition. Just make sure the pinch welds are free of rust or they WILL continue to rust over time. You can always do a once over, but every bit of rust / rust flakes should be removed before adding paint. Otherwise that's like putting ointment on cancer rather than cutting it out.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but the tank looks like it's in great shape. Either way, you're way better off than you were with that tank. If you paid anything less than $500 you did REALLY well.

WOW, that's one heck of a thread. The tank came out amazing! Now I'm pumped. Can't wait to get this done. Already ordered the gaskets from GT4 play. 8) 8)

Bori

Ok, Soaked the tank with Evap-o-rust and grinded/sanded down all the surface rust. Got all new gaskets and bolts from GT-4 play and gave the first coat of paint with rustoleum.

Attachments

• PXL_20221126_210418417.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20221126_210418417.PORTRAIT.jpg
    871.8 KB · Views: 193

Tippo

Bori":q3uh9lvr said:
Ok, Soaked the tank with Evap-o-rust and grinded/sanded down all the surface rust. Got all new gaskets and bolts from GT-4 play and gave the first coat of paint with rustoleum.

Bravo!