Going crazy with cv axle nut

Domspun

Lost a CV axle nut, wanted to replace it, but everywhere they all seem to have a M22x1.5 nut listed for it. Seem like the size is M19x1.5. Is there a different size between the OEM CV axle and aftermarket one?
The part number is 90179-22020, anybody know if it is M19x1.5?

This is driving me nuts!

CMS-GT4

There are two oem axle nut sizes. Your best bet is to take a caliper and measure the diameter of the threaded section so you know which one you need.

Domspun

CMS-GT4":z5nxtqom said:
There are two oem axle nut sizes. Your best bet is to take a caliper and measure the diameter of the threaded section so you know which one you need.

Got a GT-Four for 14 years and didn't know that, crazy.

Domspun

CMS-GT4":10dv09ze said:

I measured 17mm inside the nut. The M22 nut has 20mm inside, so I assume it's a M19?

Roreri

Good find! As we proceed into the realm of unplanned for longevity for our cars, it's becoming more and more a science project.

FC Zach

It's my understanding that the facelift models (92 & 93) were fitted with the larger diameter.

CMS-GT4

I have heard a few different things on this forum about it. There were some other threads on the subject. I have heard that even it was 165s that had it. My 92 originally had the larger nuts and as I have picked up remanufactured axles I have gotten some with the smaller nut. I think currently I have 1 of each on the front.

Domspun

FC Zach":2hlbu6sd said:
It's my understanding that the facelift models (92 & 93) were fitted with the larger diameter.

Mine is a 92, but I doubt the axles are original, I replaced one 10 years ago and the other was probably replaced in Japan not long before, looked new.

FC Zach

Domspun":ck2euomc said:
Mine is a 92, but I doubt the axles are original, I replaced one 10 years ago and the other was probably replaced in Japan not long before, looked new.

Possibly. . . This is just something I heard/read somewhere over the years and have no clue of its validity but it sounds good to me. When I replaced an axle on my 92 and received a small diameter replacement, I initially questioned it but used it anyway. Years later I replaced it again due to a boot leaking and the warranty replacement was a large diameter.

For anybody that might be picky, order a few of each and pull the desirable sizes from the shipment and return the others ;)