E154F Speedo Sensor

calyzoo

In the midst of swapping an E154F into my ST185 and the new transmission has a block-off plate in place of the electronic sensor for the speedometer. Didn't think it would be an issue until I went to swap my old mechanical sensor over and noticed there's no drive gear inside the transmission for the sensor.

Anyone aware of a variation of the E154F that would have come like this?

Is my best solution at this point to throw in a gps speedo?

calyzoo

So I've done some reading and the lack of the differential speedo gear ring leads me to believe I actually have an E150F from an ST215. What I find confusing is that it doesn't have the FWD selector normally found on the E150F and it has the same vent boot under the clutch fork that's on the E154F. It seems to be identical to the E154F other than the lack of speedo sensor.

I still need to do some reading but hoping someone might be able to chime in:
- Am I getting any improvements over my 1990 E150F? I've seen some conflicting info, but from what I understand the later model E150F still doesn't have the dual cone syncros found in the E154F, but they are improved over my early model E150F - is that correct?
- I assume it will still bolt in (clutch, axles, and seals are all compatible)?
- Will I be able to trick the ECU into thinking it's getting a signal from the speed sensor to avoid a CEL and simply run a GPS speedo instead?

I appreciate any help. A little bummed at the moment as I'm well into rebuilding this car and thought I was sitting on an E154F this whole time.

alltracman78

I was going to say, that doesn't sound like an E154F.

I don't know how improved the Caldina one is over your old one. I would assume at least somewhat, considering it's 10 + years newer.

The Caldina gets it's speed signal from the ABS. I believe there are converters available to splice into your ABS? Not sure if your ABS will still work or not.
It MAY be possible to swap the speed gear from your old transmission onto the new diff, if the housing still has the space for it. This will require tearing the whole transmission down though.

*Here, this should help.
https://www.rav4world.com/threads/gen4- ... ed.203897/

calyzoo

Thanks for the link! Looks like I might have to repurpose the ABS sensors rather than splice into them for that to work so I think you're right, I might not be able to keep ABS. That's another option though rather than splitting the trans apart.

calyzoo

So I decided to tear apart both transmissions this weekend and I can confirm that the speed ring gear from my ST185 E150F swaps directly over to the E150F from the Caldina. It was a lot of work but I wanted to retain the speed sensor on the transmission and keep my ABS. It was also a good opportunity to inspect the new transmission and give it a thorough cleaning.

It still boggles my mind why Toyota reverted back to the E150F rather than keeping the E154F in the Caldina.