Rear diff mount is finally off

smog7

Im finally going to remove the messed up rear diff mount on my car, i have the instructions printed out, and the ass of my car is sitting on car stands in the garage. just wanted to see if anyone has any useful tips? what are the required torque values for all nuts & bolts?? where can i find them?

smog7

well i started the removal of the old diff mount today... 2 of the bolts on the crossmember are reeeeeaaaly stuck. i couldnt get them so i sprayed the shit out of them with liquid wrench... going to let them sit over night and have at tomorrow. anyone have any other tips?

Denver_whiteST185

PB blaster and a good breaker bar will take those bolts...

I used a box end wrench on one of the bolts at the end of the drive shaft to help pivot it...

smog7

i still cannot get the last two bolts off of the crossmember. they go down about half way, but then they get super tight. im afraid that if i force it i might cross thread it or simply break the bolt.... ive been soaking the shit out of them the past couple of nights with liquid wrench.. i guess i better step up to something more powerful. anyone have any experience with the same problem?

Balagast

"PB blaster and a good breaker bar will take those bolts...

I used a box end wrench on one of the bolts at the end of the drive shaft to help pivot it... "

PB Blaster is so much better than liquid wrench. I've tried both, but nothing seems to do the job quite like PB Blaster... I'd give that stuff a whirl.

___Scott___

alltrac7":fckqd3ez said:
i still cannot get the last two bolts off of the crossmember. they go down about half way, but then they get super tight. im afraid that if i force it i might cross thread it or simply break the bolt....
Rust and crap build up in the threads as you loosen, and eventually lock the bolt/nut. Tighten it again (not tight, but enough to back the bolt/nut away from the build up of dirt/rust) clean the threads and try agian. Repeat if necessary.

smog7

im going to replace the rear diff mount.... i cleaned off all the gunk from the crossmember. think i might have shaved off almost a pound :D looks brand new now. also my rear diff and most of my undercarriage have some light rust and gunk on it, would it be wise to clean it and then spray with some rust protective spray?

bigacuralvr

PB is about 2x as much as WD40, but works about 10x better/faster! Good luck, take some pics, and let us know how it goes. (I still need to do mine...)

Brett

smog7

also just wondering should the crossmember have a little bulge or dent towards the middle of it? im guessing its something to do with clearance with the driveshaft?

smog7

well since i started the seasonal job at macy's i really didnt have the time or money to work on the alltrac. i was finally able to get the old crapp diff mount off tonight.
IMGP0434.jpg

IMGP0433.jpg

my workplace
IMGP0435.jpg

my dad pretending to be a fighter pilot
IMGP0436.jpg