How to replace the rear diff mount (pics)

Meurz

I fitted my C-One rear diff mount today, so naturally, I took pics! :)

I was able to use the 2 post lift at my mates work, which makes this mod a LOT easier I guess. I don't want to think about the idea of doing this with the car on the ground.. :wink: To get the old diff mount out, the diff needs to be moved forward and slightly downwards a bit. First step was to soak 14 bolts in WD40:

diffmountfitting.jpg

There it is, the stocker (unbolted already in this pic):

diffmountfitting2.jpg

While unbolting the diff itself, I noticed the holes in the diff case are significantly larger than the bolts which go through it. Therefore I marked the diff and chassis to prevent vibrations (and stress in the drivetrain) caused by a wrongly aligned diff later on:

diffmountfitting3.jpg

With the help of an extra support we lowered the diff a little bit so I could wiggle the stock mount out.

OEM vs. C-One (Looks nice and beefy):

diffmountfitting4.jpg

Next up; slide the C-One mount in, raise the diff and bolt all parts up again. The new mount in place:

diffmountfitting5.jpg

And what a difference it makes! When I lift off the throttle when driving, there are no nasty clunks and weird sounds anymore. All good for the next couple of years and km's! 8)

2RM

Nice man! Very good right up. All of us who are to do the rear diff mount later thank you in advance. :)

Meurz

Just short of an hour, it wasn't a race.. I just had a nice time with Carlos :D , checked everything twice, etc. Relaxed. :smokes:

all-trac's plus

Meurz":3sk6qyl5 said:
I fitted my C-One rear diff mount today, so naturally, I took pics! :)

I was able to use the 2 post lift at my mates work, which makes this mod a LOT easier I guess. I don't want to think about the idea of doing this with the car on the ground.. :wink: To get the old diff mount out, the diff needs to be moved forward and slightly downwards a bit. First step was to soak 14 bolts in WD40:

diffmountfitting.jpg

There it is, the stocker (unbolted already in this pic):

diffmountfitting2.jpg

While unbolting the diff itself, I noticed the holes in the diff case are significantly larger than the bolts which go through it. Therefore I marked the diff and chassis to prevent vibrations (and stress in the drivetrain) caused by a wrongly aligned diff later on:

diffmountfitting3.jpg

With the help of an extra support we lowered the diff a little bit so I could wiggle the stock mount out.

OEM vs. C-One (Looks nice and beefy):

diffmountfitting4.jpg

Next up; slide the C-One mount in, raise the diff and bolt all parts up again. The new mount in place:

diffmountfitting5.jpg

And what a difference it makes! When I lift off the throttle when driving, there are no nasty clunks and weird sounds anymore. All good for the next couple of years and km's! 8)

OK, nice job as always. Question, where can I purchase the C-One mount?

Thanks,

Tony

smog7

hmm bulletproof states that they will beat any price.. maybe i can get my mount for even cheaper :smokes:

Rick89GTS

furpo":2mezpdog said:
:D Yes it is a mission doing it with the car on the ground.

Roger
I pulled my rear diff with just jackstands, lying on my back. It actually wasn't as hard as you might think. So there's hope for all of us without access to a proper lift :) BTW, nice write up with excellent pics.

smog7

i also did mine on jackstands. it just takes a little longer, and you might get some rust/crap in your face.

Rick89GTS

Meurz":2vxzvrti said:

diffmountfitting3.jpg

I didn't mark the diff to carrier relationship but didn't have any issues with misalignment or vibration. I wonder if the larger holes are there to allow for movement?