Gearbox and diff oil

Corey

Interesting..

I don't know if I'd be brave enough to try that. I get the impression that full synthetics are very good at what they do because they are engineered that way.

If a miracle tube of lube can be added to increase their performance, I'm sure oil companies like redline or motul etc would have included those properties into the formula.

Maybe send a message off to Motul, Redline, Royalpurple etc asking what their thoughts are on that product.

I'm sure they will say its not necessary. But hopefully they will go into specifics and the possibly pro/cons.

EDIT: on the other hand, Nulon suggests using it in their own brand of gear oils.

If you do try it, let us know how it goes :)

GrpAGT4

Will do mate, luckily i work for a motorcycles shop and we are a Motul dealer so i get cost price :D rrp on that gear 300 stuff is STUPID!

aus jd 2703

hey guys i got some royal purple gear max 75w90 for my torsion rear diff is this the correct weight?i know the manual suggest 80w 90 but give the lowest temps here are 10'c i didnt think the lower weight would matter much.
cheers just wanna know before i open the bottle as 2quarts cost me $85aus

aus jd 2703

ok now im filling my gear box and ive read all six pages and it seems every one agrees redline is a great oil but maybe nt the best is this correct?
i cant really afford to filll with rp as its around $25a litre here?
nt worried bout quick shiffting just want the gear box and syncros to last

edit: just checked and redline is $40+ a litre how can any one afford 5 litres of that
how about this seems to be a good oil maybe not as good as the previous two
http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Full_S ... saxle_Oil/

Corey

^^ ya that stuff looks fine.

Redline and Royalpurple are less expensive in north america. $40/L is way to much, dont care how good it is. (Redline here is about 12$/L)

So in light of that, I'd run the stuff you suggested. But if prices were on par with each other, I'd probably go with the Redline.

mike325ci

Redline 75W-90NS in the front diff/gearbox - works well, recently autocrossed my car (it involves numerous 1st to 2nd gear shifts in redline, very smooth.)
NS is the recommended line for our front.

Will put Royal Purple 75W-90 in the rear diff.

mike325ci

Corey Darling":2bdxpez3 said:
Hey Mike,

What made you decide to put RP in the diff over redline?

cost and desire to try different things. more cost, because i was buying some other things at a local parts store and it was on sale and they don't carry Redline, only RP, so i said what the hey let me give this a try... :p

RafaCalde

cost is also what made me decide royal purple over anything else. that and availability. i use 4 quarts 75/90 to one quart synchromesh. shifts are pretty smooth but i think they'll get better once i get the extended pushrod, shifter and cable bushings, and ss clutch line installed along with rotating the sugar cube. i'm also gonna put rp into the diff. i'll probably switch to redline eventually but i'm just gonna stick with what i can get readily for now.

aus jd 2703

ok so its crunch time i need gearbox oil, i can get redline or royle purple for $25 a quart which is cheap as it gets in australia.
so what yas think?
mt90 or syncromax? or maybe a different redline? theres a few :doh:
im thinking mt90 as it seems a good compromise between syncro protection and front diff protection.
cheers

forgot to post my update on this thread. I've been running Redline 75w90NS for E151F tranny/diff up front for about 10K now since my rebuild. Everything is running great. Shifts are smooth and quick. this has been on a spirited daily driver. The NS is the ticket for me.

Rallly

What do you guys think about mixing 4quarts AMSOIL Severe Gear and 1quart Pennzoil Syncromesh? Anyone try this in their All Trac Transmission?

Akihero

Anyone try Valvoline high performance 80w-90 ( i was looking on break from work for the 75-90 at local store only had the 80 just wondering what people thought)
Valvoline® High Performance Gear Oil is a thermally stable, extreme-pressure gear lubricant that withstands severe temperatures and shock loading while providing excellent anti-wear, anti-scuffing, rust and corrosion protection.

Product Features:
Outstanding thermal stability for cleanliness and longer service life
Reduced chattering in limited-slip differentials
Gear teeth wear protection from pitting and scouring
All hypoid differentials (conventional and limited slip) and manual transmissions in passenger cars, light trucks, sport utility vehicles, vans and heavy-duty trucks where an API-GL5 or MT-1 fluid is specified.

Rallly

Okay so is there only 1 drain plug on the ST185 AllTrac Transmission? Also what would be the best in it along with the rear diff?