Cost of wheel bearings

smog7

damn this is coming out to be expensive. I think I should have just taken it to a shop. I would have paid a little more, but I wouldnt have had to deal with all the bs. so the bearings and seals each need to be ordered separately...
so im guessing I need the front hub seals and wheel bearings under "front suspension components" are the ones I need? And for the rear I couldnt find any hub seals, instead I found wheel seals. Is this what I need?
new order list:
-front wheel bearings
-front hub seal
-rear wheel bearings
-wheel seal
Is their anything else that I will need?

Nitro_Alltrac

I think what you've got on your list (first and second time) I think your are good for the bearings. When you change the bearings you need the seals, so you've got that covered. If the front hub had much slop in it before you pulled everything apart, I would go ahead and get the front hub as well. If the hub is chewed up, it will demolish your bearing and you will be going back in again. If the hub didn't have much play in it and looks goods you should be able to use it.

Hope this helps some.

Mike

smog7

thanks for the help mike. My first order included both front and rear hubs*, so I should be set. Now I need to order the seals and bearings. For some reason or another I always thought that the bearings/seals would be included in the new hub..

Nitro_Alltrac

On some cars they are. I worked in a Chevrolet parts department for about 8 years and most of the GM front wheel drive cars were set up where the hub and bearing were one piece and bolted to the knuckle. These were easy to change. Four bolts and you're ready to go. Each manufacturer is different.

Hopefully this will take care of things for you. Good luck. Glad I could be of help.

Mike

smog7

My first shipment has arrived. One thing I was wondering was are the parts from 1sttoyotaparts oem toyota parts?? well here are the hubs. I am still a little mixed up, On my old beat to hell hub their is an extra ring or something(where the grease gunk from the bearings is visible)... Am I supposed to take this part off of the old hub and install in on the new one? I still need to order my bearings and seals.

old front hub
IMGP0670.jpg

new front hub
IMGP0671.jpg

IMGP0668.jpg

IMGP0667.jpg

front hub
IMGP0672.jpg

Nitro_Alltrac

That one I don't know. The catalog shows no difference in the hub with or without ABS. It looks like it would be a major pain to get that collar off the old hub. Hopefully someone else can chime in on this one.

Nitro_Alltrac

That's a thought. It could be part of the bearing race. The black marks on the metal kind of look like the bearing rollers.

If you have the new bearing, see if the race looks anything at all like this. Also, take a look in the knuckle and see what the bearing looks like.

bridge47

That is your old bearing race. You won't need it. If you were going to reuse your hub you will need to:

Cut a diagonal groove in the old race with a high speed cutoff wheel, being careful not to cut into the hub(if you do, dress it with a file)

Mount hub in vise and with a large cold chisel and short sledgehammer, whack groove solidly until race cracks. USE SAFETY GLASSES! Then it will slide off.

I like to use green scotchbrite pad or 400 grit sandpaper to dress the inner and outer surfaces where the bearing will be pressed on.

smog7

smog7":a2dlrav3 said:
damn this is coming out to be expensive. I think I should have just taken it to a shop. I would have paid a little more, but I wouldnt have had to deal with all the bs. so the bearings and seals each need to be ordered separately...
so im guessing I need the front hub seals and wheel bearings under "front suspension components" are the ones I need? And for the rear I couldnt find any hub seals, instead I found wheel seals. Is this what I need?
new order list:
-front wheel bearings
-front hub seal
-rear wheel bearings
-both inner & outer wheel seal
Is their anything else that I will need?

ok im about to make my second order. Can someone please look over the things listed above. Is this all that I need? Why is the front seal labled under "front hub seal," and the rear one labled under "wheel seal?"
anyone? thanks for all the help guys

Nitro_Alltrac

Once you get the parts you should be fine. Your list looked pretty complete to me and compared well with the online catalog. Let us know how it goes once you get everything.

Mike

wizzards581

part# 90369-38003-77, bearing, list-$67.07, net-$48.38
celibearing.jpg

part# 43502-20100, hub sub-assy, list-$133.83, net-$96.55
celihub.jpg

my older brother works for toyota and i get discount on all parts.
my younger brother did labor for me (free)... he was taking automotive class. hydraulic press was free for him to use. lucky me. :lol:
finally my car runs like a 90k celica alltrac.

smog7

I finally installed the bitches,, with the help of a mechanic friend. In all I spent about $500 for both front and rear right side bearings/hubs/seals. Now i am in debt, but at least now I get to drive my car. come to think of it, I almost could have had enough for a brand new torsen! but anyway thanks everyone for all the help.