What should i be running in my tranny.

cardude

I put in 90 weight a couple years ago. I have heard some people say that they run ATF.
Pro's and Con's if anyone has them. My synchros grind just slightly would this make them better or worse? Also shifting down in lower gears is kinda tough some times.

Denver_whiteST185

I did a thread on this awhile back. you should use a GL5 75w90. i opted for redline 75w90ns since it should be better for syncros. If i did it again, i would put in a half bottle of BG syncro shift to make it shift a little sweeter. overall, the redline shifts alot better than the generic 75w90 gl5 that was put in by the mechanic that swap my tranny, and it should protect the tranfer case very well, which is why you should NOT use a GL4

Denver_whiteST185

ATF is automatic transmission fluid. do you have an automatic. if not, i wouldn't recomend using it :D

GL4 and GL5 are standards for transmission fluids. don't ask me what they actually mean though.

cardude

Well i didnt think ATF would be good either but i have read on other forums and such that ATF works well and give you smoother shifting and such.
just looking for comments.
i will most likely just stick with my 75w90. i dont even know what brand it is or anything.

GT4RC

Denver_whiteST185":2i1mqt3s said:
I did a thread on this awhile back. you should use a GL5 75w90. i opted for redline 75w90ns since it should be better for syncros. If i did it again, i would put in a half bottle of BG syncro shift to make it shift a little sweeter. overall, the redline shifts alot better than the generic 75w90 gl5 that was put in by the mechanic that swap my tranny, and it should protect the tranfer case very well, which is why you should NOT use a GL4

Where can I find some redline and synchro shift?

Razzo

Conan":6oa0admt said:
ATF = less power loss on the transmission but also less protection

I highly doubt that statement. Oil is oil. Been running Gm sythetic for a while now. Feels the same as stock. But remember the thinner the oil the more friction there will be between the gears.

Denver_whiteST185

GT4RC":llnqbdd9 said:
Where can I find some redline and synchro shift?

extremepsi and speedtoys are online dealers that carry it. I would call around town to see if any performance shops stock it if you dont want to ship it. You'll need 6 bottles of tranny fluid and 1 bottle of bg syncro shift. I would put in the half bottle of the bg in the middle of filling her up and wait a bit when she's topped off for bubbles to come to the surface and then top her off again.

btw oils arent always the same. Theres a reason they use different types of fluid for different applications. Do it right the first time and it wont come back to bite you in the ass (or your wallet for that matter)

built2run

c'mon buddys get nothing but the best 80 90NS by redline or 75 140NS by redline its the best its all synthetic so the 75 140NS flows better than an 80 90 petrolium fluid

crhinard

Ok, two parts here. First, ATF is recommended for some manual transmissions, for instance the 5th gen GT-S Celica transmission, (S53) is recommended to use ATF rather than gear oil due to the tighter clearances in the transmission. So don't just assume that since your don't have an automatice that you cant run ATF. Secondly, I work at a Toyota dealership and all that is recommended for All-Trac trannys is the OE fluid...HOWEVER...if you are running the car pretty good, and slammin gears, there is no reason why you couldnt upgrade to an aftermarket, more "driving suitable" fluid for your tranny.