DSM front LSD insert...?

CMS-GT4

Pat was working on something simular but he said it won't help handling. Its more for drag. He said it will increase understeer.

That is about the same thing as a phantomgrip concept.

CodingParadox

That's what I was thinking - that it acted like a PG, which is pretty much only straightline. Ah, well, just noticed it and figured it was worth a question. =)

CMS-GT4

It never hurts to ask. I think you should start looking into the shops that build 4x4s. See if anyone makes anything for the rav 4 box. There might be a solution there.

CMS-GT4

I think you have found something very interesting.

Keep me posted on your findings. I have also been reading the rav 4 gearbox is a closer ratio than the alltracs.

Thi might be what we have been looking for.

CodingParadox

The ravbox just has a much lower final drive. It'll make the trac max out at around 120. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I assume that a new final drive could be found from some other box if I really hated it.

Mafix

i would not use that thing. all it does is lock together under a load. it is spring loaded and i've never seen good RELIABLE results from them. this was real big with the 3kgt guys a couple years ago.

CodingParadox

"I have contacted a Toyota Technical Parts Representative and he said that the LSD will not fit the AWD models due to the difference in the drivetrain. Apparently the transmission is slightly different in design from a front drive to an all wheel drive."

Oh well. =(

CMS-GT4

I am going to go ahead and assume the RAV 4 box has the same issues as the alltrac box. Center diff and front diff being 1 unit, which makes it too hard to make a lsd unit at a fair price.