4 wheel to 2 wheel drive

tw2

I have never attempted it but it looks as though you will need to jack the car up, crawl underneath and probably remove the crossmember to gain access to it.

yellowtuner

well how have you guys smoged your car with out flipping the switch? i need to smog it thats why im asking :shoots: smog stations

4V6

I presume this is the lever and quadrant on the alltrac transfer case?

It dosent switch from 2 to 4 or 4 to 2 wheel drive with that, it simply locks the diffs together or unlocks them. Might be fun on the snow or mud but the tranny wont like it on pavement. :)

rezeeb

When I had mine checked, they just did an idle and ~2500 rpm text. They did not run it on rollers. The smog station should be set up for running an awd car or just do rpm tests off rollers.

yellowtuner

4V6":3s0wnk2a said:

It dosent switch from 2 to 4 or 4 to 2 wheel drive with that, it simply locks the diffs together or unlocks them. Might be fun on the snow or mud but the tranny wont like it on pavement. :)
well when it ulocks the diff. isnt that the same as disengaging the rear so only the front tires spin?

yellowtuner

rezeeb":q63myaoq said:
When I had mine checked, they just did an idle and ~2500 rpm text. They did not run it on rollers. The smog station should be set up for running an awd car or just do rpm tests off rollers.
im not sure cuz out here in cali the smog rules are more strict! i dont think i have ever seen a awd smog station. how many people have done it at idle or rollers?

4V6

yellowtuner":3t0m6d15 said:
4V6":3t0m6d15 said:

well when it ulocks the diff. isnt that the same as disengaging the rear so only the front tires spin?

The diffs run in open mode on the front of the alltrac, so shifting the lever actually locks the diffs.
Over here (uk) we have a brake test done on each set of axles one at a time and it dosent seem to affect the results because the centre diff with its viscous coupling takes up the difference between the front set of wheels which are moving and the rears which arent.
Apply that diff lock and itll climb out of the rollers as youll be locking all the front and rears together.

The default mode is unlocked.
It used to be a pneumatically operated option on other vehicles with the alltrac tranny in the toyota range.
My advice? Leave well alone. :)

ummmiono

are you ure youre not thinking of the original st165 lever controlled center diff? i thought that the lever locked by the bolt disconnects the rear drive. its in the bgb its some sort of test only mode that youre not supposed to drive on, some have with mixed results. in the bgb look under transaxle description.