Why do I never hear of the ACT Clutch?

jlspec

I've heard of all the different clutchs for our cars, but how come no one ever mentions of the ACT? Are they just bad clutchs that no one really wants to used?

SuperWhite92

They're good clutches, and they've been doing it a long time.

The reason I don't recommend them is that I personally don't care for the feel. ACT creates the extra holding power by adding pressure plate to the clutch. While this isn't a bad thing, it makes for a heavy clutch pedal when compared to other brands.

Like I said though, they work well and they're not known for failure.

toayoztan

SuperWhite92":kvhz3ejb said:
They're good clutches, and they've been doing it a long time.

The reason I don't recommend them is that I personally don't care for the feel. ACT creates the extra holding power by adding pressure plate to the clutch. While this isn't a bad thing, it makes for a heavy clutch pedal when compared to other brands.

Like I said though, they work well and they're not known for failure.

Yep, I agree.

They do just fine and work great. However, they are a bit stiffer on the leg than other clutches. I don't mind though. Right now I'm using an ACT pressure plate and racing street disc.

Bryan

klue

Yes its true, they are the cause of the lofty left leg syndrome, but very well made clutches. Personally I prefer the stiff clutch as it discourages others from wanting to drive my car haha :p

RafaCalde

klue":1n6pjcab said:
Yes its true, they are the cause of the lofty left leg syndrome, but very well made clutches. Personally I prefer the stiff clutch as it discourages others from wanting to drive my car haha :p

+1, my buddy went with a Spec in his alltrac and it works pretty good but my other friend put one in Eclipse GS-T and it sucked. since then i've decided to go with ACT just cause i've never heard anything bad about them. i've got a street disc with the ACt HD pp in it right now and soon i'm gonna put a stage 3 6 puck ceramic disc with the same PP

Luni

Ive got a 6 puck with xtreme PP on my MR2 and I like my clutch alot.

Mine is also the unsprung version so its even stiffer and harsher and harder to drive, but once you get over the initial learning curve of the car, not an issue.

I love my ACT clutch. I like the way it feels over a spec and definately over stock.

Same exact clutch youd use on an alltrac too, so any questions let me know.

I am running the speedsource extended slave rod and a SS clutch line too.

turbo4wd

I've gone thru 1 ACT clutch, and am on the 2nd (replaced the 1st only because I had the engine out, not because it needed replacing)

I've had nothing but good experiences with it, and for me the pedal effort is not that high. Good stuff IMO..

gt4tified

I've hated my ACT 6puck unsprung ever from the 2nd week I had it. On top of that, five months after installing going home one evening @ 130km/h the clutch disk spun out on me....the splines were completely smoothe when I dropped it. Never again for me.