ACPT C/F Driveshaft Group buy is a go!!!

Mafix

go look at any silverado. the 3 rivers steel drive shaft is about 2.5 inches in diameter while the aluminum drive shaft for the exact same truck is over 4 inches in diameter.

jonstew

Mafix":1rpz9rg5 said:
go look at any silverado. the 3 rivers steel drive shaft is about 2.5 inches in diameter while the aluminum drive shaft for the exact same truck is over 4 inches in diameter.

OK folks; Mafix just summed it up. Pat and I did a lot of research on this from phone calls to builders (of each type, aluminum and CF) to emails and phone calls to each other over the span of about 6 months...bottom line; ALUMINUM WILL NOT WORK (granted Pat and I wanted something at least as stong as stock that could spin to 10K RPM). If you choose to use aluminum it is your choice to do so and you are welcome to it. Remember our big 3 inch exhaust travels thru the same area. The CF driveshaft has 11/32 or an inch of clearance in our cars.... that is .34375 of an inch clearance....our cars are not other cars and driveshafts are not driveshafts. The leg work has been done and there is one of these driveshafts in North America's most powerful (known) All-Trac, if that is not good enough for some of you you are welcome to look for another solution. But assine comments like "well it works in my Supra" are just plain stupid and have no merit what so ever in the conversation.

klue

yea lets be friends,
FYI i read the whole post
the drive shaft = drive shaft thing
was just to qwell the supra vs alltrac debate. who cares! FTW

Ive got questions.
this drive shaft is rated at 1000ftlbs, How is this tested? because it works on pats car doesnt mean this is goood information. If the 1000ftlbs is applied a shaft gradually isnt the same as if it is applied in an instant. Would it break if you put 500ftlbs in one direction and 500 in the other. (just numbers, but you get the idea i hope)

2. what about pinion angles?!?!

turbo4wd

klue":1l8qc99x said:
yea lets be friends,
FYI i read the whole post
the drive shaft = drive shaft thing
was just to qwell the supra vs alltrac debate. who cares! FTW

Ive got questions.
this drive shaft is rated at 1000ftlbs, How is this tested? because it works on pats car doesnt mean this is goood information. If the 1000ftlbs is applied a shaft gradually isnt the same as if it is applied in an instant. Would it break if you put 500ftlbs in one direction and 500 in the other. (just numbers, but you get the idea i hope)

2. what about pinion angles?!?!

The 1000ft/lb rating is more than likely a calculated amount from a number that was established based off of the properties of the material. A few factors are involved like length, diameter, thickness of tubing (in this case, layers of CF).

In automotive applications, unless you're driving an electric car, the power is always a gradual buildup, so you'll never seen an "instant" max amount of torque applied to anything in the drivetrain.

When moving forward, the driveshaft spins in one direction - the transfer case splits the power 50/50 before it even reaches the driveshaft. So Pat's statement that hes outputting about 300 ft/lbs of torque is accurate if hes making about 600 ft/lbs to all 4 wheels.

To get a whole 1000 ft/lbs to be transmitted through the driveshaft itself, Pat's 185 would have to be making 2000 ft/lbs at all 4 wheels.. At that point I think his clutch / gearbox / t-case would be more prone to liquifying itself than the driveshaft failing..

And in regards to pinion angles, thats what the u-joints are for. :wink:

darthripley

count me in on the group buy Sifu.

if we can get some kind of group buy discount together that would be cool 8)
regardless, i'll definitely be getting one of these.

btw thanks for the pics & info John & Pat.

klue

I don't mean to criticize or sound arrogant so keep that in mind.

my drivetrain teacher has been doing trannys, diffs, since before I was born. He has written textbooks which are standard in canada, as well as dubai on repairing drive train components. The man explained to me because i have the same attitude as you.

You CAN NOT have torque division once everything is equal. How do you justify having 100 lbs front and 100ftlbs rear to equal 200 ftlbs? why wouldnt it be 50 lbs per wheel? well torque is force, force is transmitted equally and undiminished. lets use your brakes for an example so its easier to understand. You apply your brakes with 400psi. there IS NOT 100 psi to each caliper, there is 400 PSI to each caliper as long as the fluid is contained it will DISTRIBUTE, not divied force equally.

In the case of drivetrains your container is traction. once the force(torque) is contained by mechanical linkage, crankshaft->transmission->diff's->tires the torque can not be split, divided, subtracted, or liquefied.

Im not going to further my argument, if you dont get it then o well.

u joints are GREAT! i love em! but they do break, wear out, or break other shit when its not set up properly. Im interested in this for a street vehicle so this stuff is important to me so sorry it if seems redundant to those whom dont care.

u joints are made for up to 1-3 degree max, im sure we could do more than that on the street with a 92inch shaft, I dont know to much about this but ive seen one explooood so thats why im worried

klue

I know for sure if this thing can only hold 1000ftlbs my little st165 should be able to pop the shit out of it. making a measily 1400 lbs in first before the diff, i dont know if its going to like me :D

sikx5

Wow - Thats pretty neat to see them developing products for our cars. I am interested in one of these, will do a little more research first, but would they ship internationally?

GMan

> jonstew
> Location: Indianapolis, IN.
> Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:52 pm
> Pat and I did a lot of research on this from phone calls to builders

Thanks to Both or you for ALL the leg work, AND offering it for a gp.
(I'll have to wait a while though. )

Regards;

Sifu

I'm still waiting for a GB confirmation from them. But in the interest for them I'm going to need a head count from prospective buyers. So far here are the confirmed users.

1) Sifu
2) Ripley
3) RedCelicaTRD? (if it also fits the st165)
4) jonstew? (if the group buy pans through)
5) suprakid95
6) sikx5? (if they ship intl)

Please if you're serious then let me know with just a simple 'add me please.' If you are questionable then feel free to mention that as well. As this is growing feel free to add your input. If you plan on doing it in the long run maybe we can hold it off for a lil' while. Just know that the longer we wait the more $$$ this will increase.

Also feel free to add your input to the cause as long as it's on topic.

I wonder if the Thompson Joint has made it to the automotive spectrum and if it can be implemented. Sure I bet it's $$$ but hey who knows?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgQgm3GwaFs

RedCelicaTRD

Is it confirmed that this shaft will fit an ST165 also? If so, depending on how cheap I can get my engine rebuild done, I might have to buy two :wink:

Sifu

I'll call them on Monday about the possible GB. Can anyone confirm if the 1st gen and 2nd gen driveshafts are interchangable?

MrWOT

Corey Darling":19yoxgf1 said:
I'm questionable at this point. I think the money would be better spent on an exhaust.

No, it's definetly better spent on the driveshaft, you can ALWAYS get an exhaust easily.