Torsen differential Q's

Gary

The one from our cars

Torsendiff.jpg

CMS-GT4

I think you mean an open unit... and from what I understand yes. They use the same housing, just use different methods of snap rings. See bgb.

damselracer

a friend of mine that has owned a lot of toyotas over the years told me that, at least in the RWD celicas, the supras, the cressidas, and the trucks, the diff code will tell you whether its limited slip or open. If it ends in an even number, its an open diff, but if it ends in an odd number, its an LSD. Since thats just about everything RWD that Toyota makes, its safe to guess that would be true for the rear diffs in the alltracs as well.

Anyone who knows for SURE what theirs is and can tell us their diff code care to confirm or deny this?

coyoteboy

Can anyone also tell us where to find the diff code? I've had a quick look but i cant find anything other than the standard vin plate.

Its on the sticker on the drivers door

on my blue 90 alltrac I have tranny code listed as
A/TM - 737/E150F

The 737 means something but not sure how to decode it (I know
on my 93 MR2 turbo that 735 indicates that the MR2 has limited
slip differential)

I thought all All-Trac's came with a viscous rear-end, or a torsen? I didn't think any came with an open axle. That wouldn't give very good traction since torque in a open diff goes to the wheel with the least resistance.

toayoztan

92 All-Trac":1ry8zqtq said:
I thought all All-Trac's came with a viscous rear-end, or a torsen? I didn't think any came with an open axle. That wouldn't give very good traction since torque in a open diff goes to the wheel with the least resistance.

yeah, that would make sense. I've just been going with what i've seen posted all the time. All alltracs have open front and VC center. It's the rear that is either open or lsd.

on my blue 90 alltrac I have tranny code listed as
A/TM - 737/E150F

So are we checking the last number for even or odd on 737 or e150 set of numbers? And what's A/TM mean? thanks!

Bryan

Gary":13cs7ft0 said:
E-150F is the transmission code.

Yeah the E150/E151 (CS version) are the tranny codes. Where is this other number you guys are talking about located? I'd like to take a look at what number mine has and compare it with others.

toayoztan

Alright, i finally got arond to opening up my spare rear differential from my wrecked 92. To my surprise, it looked different from the picture that Gary had provided. I'm guessing it has no worm gear, which would mean it's not Torsen, and it's an open diff? Well, i found that weird, b/c my 92 was fully upgraded to everything which included leather seats, lumbar seating, sunroof, etc. Apparently, now, it's not fully upgraded since it had no torsen lsd. Well, here are the pictures for the diff for reference so we know what we're looking at. Just to make sure, can anyone confirm this is indeed an open diff?

43390161_l.jpg

43390965_l.jpg

Bryan

This sucks though...now all that's left is to check my 93 which i'm sure it does have LSD, since the driving characteristics were different from the 92 i had. In any case, i won't be able to check out my 93 til a while since it's just a tad too much work for me right now to crack it open with school coming up soon again.

2of81

st185-sainz":2x601g3o said:
Centre is everywhere Viscous. Every gearbox has the same lever to convert into FWD, open diff and viscous. (ST165/185/185CS/205)

No the ST205 doesn't have the lever to convert it to fwd. The 1987 ST165 transmissions are completly different too, have a solienoid to switch from AWD to 2WD inside the cab. This transmission you cannot switch to a regular 88-89 center differential the long shaft that goes into there is different.

damselracer

toayoztan, youre right, that is an open diff. I don't think the trim level had any bearing on whether the car had an open or LSD rear end, since I also have all the gizmos in my car and still have an open diff.

the code you should look at to test my theory is the first three digits- in the example of 737/E150F, the 737 is the diff code and like someone said, the E150F is the tranny code. Your rear diff, BoostedBlueToyotas, *should* be a limited slip.

And since you mentioned it, it sounds like this code might be true even in the FWD trannies, since the 735 is a LSD and it ends in an odd number.

:shrug: interestin' stuff

toayoztan

damselracer":2hkvbtq2 said:
toayoztan, youre right, that is an open diff. I don't think the trim level had any bearing on whether the car had an open or LSD rear end, since I also have all the gizmos in my car and still have an open diff.

the code you should look at to test my theory is the first three digits- in the example of 737/E150F, the 737 is the diff code and like someone said, the E150F is the tranny code. Your rear diff, BoostedBlueToyotas, *should* be a limited slip.

And since you mentioned it, it sounds like this code might be true even in the FWD trannies, since the 735 is a LSD and it ends in an odd number.

:shrug: interestin' stuff

Well, I don't remember the exact code i had on my 92, but the 93 has that code 737/e150f. we'll just have to see....

Bryan

I have the BGB for my 90 alltrac

In the Suspension and Axle - Differential section it has lots of references
to (Conventional Type Differential) so I suspect that there is no LSD
on 90's.

Does anyone have a 93 BGB and if so could you look and see what you
have listed in this section. Sounds like 92's could have either tranny (I would presume later production date 92's may have gotten the Torsen)

alltracman78

92 lists both, conventional and torsen.
I don't have my 93 manuals on me, but I will check tomorrow.

*This is only for rear diff. Front and center are normal, as far as I can tell. No mention of torsen, or torque sensing. Also didn't look like it in the diagrams.*

btw-Good idea, Tim

Well if the 92 BGB shows pictures of Torsen components I would love
to see a picture of them. I can supply the 90 side (i.e.. picture
of my diff opened and pages from the BGB)