alltrac installation issues and one more new alltrac owner

machineica

hey guys, i have two big questions one is what transmission do i have i have a pic. i baught a 88 st165 with no motor and baught a jdm 165 motor. it could be the stock transmission for this motor i dont know. i guess the big diaphram assemblys on the back is for the center diff lock or something. if it is does anyone have a schematic on it so i can hook it up.

blah blah.... now the second part. this is the noob in me right here you ready. do you absolutely have to put the engine thru the bottom!! heh heh heh. :cry:

if i must then i must i didnt wanna go tearing off the rear output shaft and possibly damaging the adjustment to the pinion or anything if i didnt have to if thats how you gotta do it. let me hear your storys heh. my 1jz swap was novice compared to this haha j/k

Hotrodhendrix

You can remove and install from the top but most do it from the bottom. From the top you have to remove more stuff but its not bad. I pulled and dropped from the top but I did a full rebuild/ restore on the engine bay.

Pics of the tranny?

Hotrodhendrix

Looks like a 165 tranny to me but its kinda hard to see in those pics. If it came with the car its more than likely a st165 tranny.

machineica

i have the 88 celica alltrac service manual and it dosent show the diaphram on the back of the transfer case like this one i was just curious. as far as putting it in from the top can the rear output be removed without harming the pinion?

Andy

I agree with BoostedBlueToyotas it is the "early ST165 mechanical vacuum operated with locking center differentials ".

Scrap it and use your original transmission!

You do not want vacuum operated with locking center differentials. Or, you will have FWD for the street and you could lock in the AWD for snow/mud but not for the street or it will burn out the center diff.

Andy

machineica

i dont have an original transmission as stated above i baught the car with no motor and a jdm motor on the side. well the engine is in i guess noone really talks about taking the rear output pinion off. well it comes off easy and after tilting the hell out of it... it fits in just fine. but as far as the locking c diff... i guess imma have fun hooking vaccumm up until i discover which lines act as the control system find and extra vsv and control it electronicly... so does anyone know if that was an usdm feature in 1988?