twin disk clutch discussion

Mafix

since i've come to realize that i need to upgrade to a serious clutch i thought a nice discussion thread should be started. i'll edit and sticky this thread later on for other members
options:
exedy
competition clutch
orc
hks
blitz
cusco
os giken
carbonetics
tilton
clutchmasters
rps

LegacyofDan

out of curiosity whats the matter with good ol' ACT? if they suck i didn't know, i have never heard anything bat about them, but neither have i used them...

Simba

Unless you're exceeding 500 ft. lbs., or beating the royal crap out of it (drag racing, etc), you probably don't need one.

That said, I love my HKS. Great engagement and virtually impossible to kill, though it sounds like a bag of marbles in the gearbox when disengaged.

Mafix

yeah i've heard that about them. i'm looking at having competition make mine. that witht the kaaz lsd i should be good to destroy trannies at will.

Hotrodhendrix

I enjoy my OS Giken aluminum twin plate. With the slave extension rod the peddle isnt harsh at all. Engagment is great. It's held just fine so far but im only at 11psi at the moment. The only downside to these so far is the sound they make when you have the peddle pressed down. It really does sound like a bunch of marbles in the gearbox.

Mafix

LegacyofDan":1hr9s2k8 said:
out of curiosity whats the matter with good ol' ACT? if they suck i didn't know, i have never heard anything bat about them, but neither have i used them...
single disk just won't hold the power at the track for me.

Hotrodhendrix

True 5k is a bit much considering I spent 4k on the car. :twisted:

Dont the OS Gikens go for around 2-3k new?? Maybe an ACT would be a bit cheaper..

stevo27

tilton won't make the flywheel for use 3s guys unless there is a group buy of 15 or more that why i unded up going for rps

RWDragoon

I have a Tilton twin disc with a tilton chromalloy flywheel (5sfe stroker) Complete kit including tilton master cylinder. I may have to sell this kit because I dont have the room on a RHD car to install the master cylinder. Unless I use a tilton pedal assembly and use a overhung design (lots of custom fab work)

abraxxa

I have the Carbonetic twin-disc type normal with the 1150kg pressure plate and it drives really good.
The car is much more fun than with the OEM clutch.
I wish I had replaced it four years ago when I bought the car!

abraxxa

My Carbonetic twin-disc isn't fully disengaging. I've already adjusted the pedal to the maximum available travel but shifting still isn't smooth and I often stall the engine in reverse. Any ideas besides the extended slave cylinder pushrod? But as speed source seems to not exist any more, I'm not sure where to get one.