185 vs 205 transmissions

vash169

Transmission problems have suddenly snuck up without warning, as is common for me. My 205 needs some fixing, and while I have other things to check first I do like planning for the possible future. I don't have the resources to pull the transmission out to check it at the moment though. So what I'd like to do is rebuild a transmission out of the car then when the snow melts I can get the make the switch.

But 205 transmissions aren't as common around here as 185, so my first question is how similar are they? I know putting a 205 into a 185 is a popular swap, but if I downgrade do I lose any neat little updated features?

Also, since I'm probably going to be up to my elbows in transmission either way, are there any upgrades I can do? I don't have the budget for all new gear ratios but anything else to make this kind of worthwhile would be good.

MWP

First, whats wrong with your gearbox?

A 185 box should fit, but dont do it!
205 boxes have a shorter 3rd gear, are stronger, and are also newer (so less KMs on them normally).

If you cant find one, get yours rebuilt.

gt4tified

What's wrong with your gearbox? x 2

Aren't the 205 trannies supposed to be near bulletproof? Sounds strange.

If you can fix or rebuild, I would also suggest you take that route.

Gary ST165

gt4tified":23ec87ra said:
Aren't the 205 trannies supposed to be near bulletproof?

Bullet proof? depends how you shift!

There are plenty of fubar / broken /worn lowish mileage (60,000) E154F on gt4oc. They seem to suffer more from notchy and worn synchros than the older E150F or E151F.

Maybe it is because the E154F has to put up with more power in stock form and synchros get snagged during quick gear changes..
or
Maybe it is because every muppet is fitting a short shift kit and skateboard bearings to the shifter cables :lol:

vash169

Specifically the problem is that the shifter won't move into gear anymore. When the car is on and I push it the car will rock forward a tiny bit, so it is at least moving the gears a little bit. The problem persists when the car is off too so I'm worried it's a mechanical problem and not related to hydraulics or clutch. And worried means considering every scenario, smashed tranny innards being one of them.

I wasn't shifting hard or anything, just your basic neighborhood road driving, right up until I came back outside after parking it for an hour. If I were hammering it on the highway I could totally see how I might have done something, I do agree that you usually have to apply some unusual force to the thing to actually physically break something in it. Still, gotta consider it.

Okay so I'll stick with the 205 one. If the main design difference is gearing then should a teardown and rebuild be the same as what the BGB has for the 185?

therieldeal

i'm assuming you already confirmed that the clutch fork is indeed actuating when you depress the pedal? any change in the clutch pedal feel?

in my fathers vw he once had a coil break off of a clutch disc spring, jamming itself between the flywheel and disc. made it impossible to get in and out of gear, as the clutch was always partially engaged...