Difference when using a st205 and 185 tranny

Celicatuner92

Ok here goes nothing. Before my black trac motor went out I installed a 205 tranny and drove it around for a couple of days. During this time i noticed that the car seemed to push through corners more and the tire would start screaching and sliding a lot more than when i had the 185 tranny. Also I noticed that in the snow the car was more spin happy than it was with the 185 trans.

Now I have another stock 185 with the same rims and tires that were on my black one and the car turns and handels like a dream but in the snow it is a little bit harder to get to spin unlike the black car with the 205 trans. Both cars have stock suspension so I don't believe suspension has anything to do with it.

Just looking for a little insight as to what might be the cause of this difference or if anyone else has noticed the same thing when they installed a 205 tranny.

thanks
jon

Corey

I've installed a 205 tranny in my car and I don't recall any difference besides better shifting and the longer 3rd and 4th gears. :shrug:

Celicatuner92

Yeah I noticed those as well but I am starting to wonder if on of my differentials is locking up on me. Don't have much experience with transmissions so I'm hoping someone can possibly tell me what to look for or something I could look into as a possible issue.

lalojamesliz

I can't comment on the diffrence yet but I have a st205 trans I want to install very soon because a friend of mine wants my st185 trans. Do you guys remember if the st205 trans droped right in or was their any thing that didn't match up? I need to know so when my mechanic switches my trans, he won't have delays because parts don't fit.

Corey

The 205 will drop right in. All you need to ensure is that you use the ST185 tranny mounts (not an issue). Also, the speed sensor on the 205 tranny is electric, so if your car uses a mechanical one, you just need to swap them - I think its just one bolt.

Corey

Gary ST165

Celicatuner92":302bi7b9 said:
Just looking for a little insight as to what might be the cause of this difference or if anyone else has noticed the same thing when they installed a 205 tranny.

thanks
jon

dia you swap transfer boxes etc

all i can think of is that the viscous coupling (centre LSD) might be more worn than the other unit