OS Giken STR twin plate clutch?

timmey

Hey guys,

Anyone running one of these twin plates out there on our cars? I hear many great reviews, just few experiences for our car specifically. I know a few guys out there have OS Giken twin plates, just not sure if they went with one of the two racing models, or this STR/Street version. While I have you here: what other streetable twin plates can anyone suggest?

http://www.osgiken.net/products/strclutch.html

Cheers!

Timmey

I was so tempted to get the STR when i did my rebuild, but I cheaped out and got the super single instead, which wasn't cheap either. It was recommended by the OS rep in Cali office. For my power goals he said the super single would be a great fit. the STR is sex though. The rep also suggested the TS2B. When i searched for GT4 and MR2 owners who use OS there isn't that many. All have been good recommendations. Maybe 1 guy with the STR. OS products aren't the most cost effective option as there are more affordable and decent options out there. Good luck with you choice.

my super single is very streetable. no problems there. And yes even my single has the classic OS rattle action.

aus jd 2703

For me os giken are the cheap option there about $1200 us compare that to $2600aus for an exedy twin plate. And that's a quote stright from exedy Australia. Talking to a mate with a modified evp iv I'll probe get an os giken twin when it comes time

timmey

Thanks for the info! much appreciated.

Yeah, they're not too much more than say a Clutchmaster FX700 which is supposed to be not so streetable. I mostly have found them for 1500/1600 for our model, so like 500 more than the super single.

Cheers,

Timmey

RWDragoon

I'm running a FX700.... worst clutch ever!

I really wish I went OS Giken! All their clutches are sooo much nicer to drive, and will even take more abuse!

darthripley

The Exedy Hyper Single I got for Vadar is a real treat to drive, so smooth & easy - better than many stock clutches I have felt in high hp cars.
Some are are like a button either on or off engagement ... something where you might rear end the guy in front of you in bumper to bumper traffic. The Caddy CTS-V I drove was that way - really atrocious for DD imho!

I would get an Exedy Twin Plate if I needed it to handle extra torque but I won't ever make enough where the single plate can't hold it.
The torque numbers to the wheels is really what you should be concerned about when shopping for a clutch.

Personally if you can do it I would stay with a single plate clutch as most twin plates rattle & make quite a bit of noise -- it gets on my nerves to hear over the motor but that's just me.
I've heard nothing but good things about OS Giken & they have replacement discs for their clutches so you can replace parts without having to shell out $$$ for a whole new unit.

Corey

My single plate ORC "silent" model also makes a noticeable rattle when the clutch is disengaged.

timmey

Corey Darling":2y5suskp said:
My single plate ORC "silent" model also makes a noticeable rattle when the clutch is disengaged.

As aptly named as most japanese car products. lol.

Timmey

lumbercis

Im using an exedy twin plate and, to my surprise, have NO rattle whatsoever. Its also pretty easy to drive except for steep inclines of course, although I'm getting better at those. Its actually nicer to drive than my old Exedy three-puck. It just has a very narrow engagement window that you have to get used to. But its easier to slip than an aggressive puck clutch.

RWDragoon

Exedy twin-plates have special springs in the center plate that apply slight pressure to keep the assembly from rattling. aka "Granny Straps" While good in theory we have had 2 out of 3 exedy twins come into my shop with those straps broken. One of them became lodged in the disc itself and caused more extensive damage! Their are reasons OS Giken Doesn't design their clutches with this simple technology! .... It can fail!

MWP

So there is a second hand OS Giken TS2B for sale nearby.

Has anyone street driven with one of these? Opinions?

Any way to tell from looking at it how much life it has left?

lumbercis

RWDragoon":1dglv1xm said:
Exedy twin-plates have special springs in the center plate that apply slight pressure to keep the assembly from rattling. aka "Granny Straps" While good in theory we have had 2 out of 3 exedy twins come into my shop with those straps broken. One of them became lodged in the disc itself and caused more extensive damage! Their are reasons OS Giken Doesn't design their clutches with this simple technology! .... It can fail!

Hmm, haven't heard of that. But I'll certainly report back if it happens.

If I hadn't gone with the Exedy, I would have gone with an OS Giken in a heartbeat. Whatever their annoyances, their reputation for quality is solid.

I was also considering a Carbonetics twin plate. But those are fairly rare so you aren't going to find a lot of reviews on them.

J.

P.S. But I'll still say that you can't go wrong with an Exedy. I've had two now with zero problems, and my installer said he's put them on about a million evos with no reported problems. Plus, while you can find the occasional failure talked about on messageboards, there are relatively few for how many people are running Exedy products. They certainly have nowhere near the same reported problems as Spec. As always do your research and decide what works for you. There's no perfect clutch for everyone, but the Exedy twin has been perfect for me so far.

I thought about Carbonetics too when deciding my clutch. I didn't want to go twin plate if I didn't have to, so I passed on the Carbonetics. They look sweet, but out of my price range. When I asked around and did my research, they seemed liked a solid quality clutch option.

YerRandO

http://media.photobucket.com/image/...ers/OS Giken/Grand Touring/IMG_0313.jpg?o=310

Stumbled across this picture of a OS Giken Grand Touring that Vex performance posted as being for our cars. I dont see anything listed on OS Gilkens website yet but google tuned up this:

"New for 2011 is OS Gikens Grand Touring series of clutches. These clutches are designed to be a better version of the STR Series. They are 50% quieter when the clutch is depressed and now offer 2 types of pressure plates. The first type of pressure plate has single diaphragm springs and has very light pedal feel. This clutch is still good for upto 550whp in a twin disc configuration. The second type of pressure plate has a dual diaphragm spring and has a medium pedal pressure. The heavier pressure plate is now good for upto 420whp in Single Disc configurations, and 650whp in Twin disc Configurations. All while retaining OS Giken's EXCELLENT drive-ability, Street-Ability, and Durability!"

Also

http://my350z.com/forum/drivetrain/514452-os-giken-grand-touring-loves-my350z.html

Celi-GT4

A TS2 came in my 3rd gen clip, looked nearly new from inspection, but cant really say. I enjoy driving it as it feels so much better then the ACT and SPec clutchs Ive had before. I can only say it feels stock but with no slip under launch.

RWDragoon

Celi-GT4":2mjrsvwv said:
A TS2 came in my 3rd gen clip, looked nearly new from inspection, but cant really say. I enjoy driving it as it feels so much better then the ACT and SPec clutchs Ive had before. I can only say it feels stock but with no slip under launch.

All OS Clutches are pretty awesome to drive!

The new grand touring clutches are the best so far, but unfortunately due to size constraints we can only fit a single plate in a GT4 Transmission which limits us to 400-420whp

YerRandO

RWDragoon":2j2ofcay said:
All OS Clutches are pretty awesome to drive!

The new grand touring clutches are the best so far, but unfortunately due to size constraints we can only fit a single plate in a GT4 Transmission which limits us to 400-420whp

Is this limited to the Grand Touring twin?

RWDragoon

Let me Clarify

The new Grand-Touring series of clutches are available in 4 configurations

GTS1CD - Grand Touring Soft Single Plate. This clutch has a light pedal and is recommended for 300-320whp
GT1CD - Grand Touring Hard Single Plate. This clutch has a medium pedal pressure and is recommended for 400-420whp (Same as above clutch but higher clamping force)
GTS2CD - Grand Touring Soft Twin Plate. This clutch has a light pedal and is recommended for upto 500-550whp
GT2CD - Grand Touring Hard Twin Plate. This clutch has a medium pedal and is recommended upto 600-650whp

All of the above clutches are designed for maximum street-ability while still being able to take the abuse and handle the power. The Single plate clutches are nearly silent when the clutch pedal is pressed, and the twin plate clutches are 50% quieter over other twin disc configurations.

On a GT4 or MR2 we dont have the physical room required to run the Twin-Plate Grand touring clutch so the only GT options available are the top two. OS Giken does have other higher capacity twin plate clutches that are designed for our cars, just not in a Grand touring series.

Also remember when ordering any OS Giken product to order from an Authorized dealer, as counterfeit OS Giken products DO EXIST!