flywheel weights?

Shafer777

so i have an 88 all trac with a st185 mr2 swap running on 20lbs. well lately my clutch has been lightly fading away on me, crusing down the highway at about 3k and roll onto it and around 15-16lbs the engine will get faster, but im not moving much faster lol.

i was planning on replacing my mystery clutch with something equivalent with a stage 3-4, and getting rid of my heavy, slow reving flywheel with something much lighter that lets it rev free-er/faster, and lets my turbo spool faster in lower gears, maybe some wheel spin in there too :wink: i was just wondering on how many lb flywhel i should look for. and IMO it cant rev too fast :)

4rsnduction

I use a 4.4kg chromolly flywheel
Use a pound to kg calculator to work it out, as i have no idea :lol:
Its noticeable over a stock unit but alot easier to stall the car with a non organic-disc type clutch

aus jd 2703

i spoke to a respected clutch guy last week about light fly wheels and he is of the opinion on a turbo car especially awd, you want all the momentum you can to help keep the engine spinning (minimize lag) during gear shifts. made sense to me at the time, if it was a light weight NA car sure go for it but not a heavy awd

toayoztan

Yeah, i've generally heard on AWD (I'm personally not sure on the turbo aspect of it) that you really want to avoid a lightened flywheel if possible.

Maybe you can go lighter, but I don't think you want like a 10.5lb FW.

Bryan

Corey

Having driven the stock, ORC and now a 9 lb ACT Light weight flywheels, I can say that in my opinion - lighter is definitely the way to go.

I did notice that with the ORC clutch (which is lighter than stock, but heavier than the ACT), that the revs do drop fast when shifting.

But for the ACT install, I also went to a MAP system with no AFM so the engine breaths so much better, the revs actually hang a bit now so no change in upshifts, but downshifts are fantastic - the engine revs freely now.