So I recently finished a 205 engine, tranny, rear end swap into my ST165. I bought a front clip from a 98 Toyota GT-four. I then had Tweak'd performance build me a harness and everything is installed and runs perfectly. I just hit my 750 mile mark (been driving it easy to break in my new clutch.) So here is the problem and I figure it should go in here because I know it is drivetrain related.
After 750 miles I took it into the shop who did my install for an inspection. He looked everything over, checked my fluids, and checked that nothing was coming loose. The car was given a clean bill of health and permission to be romped on.
We had some snow last week...Something that hardly happens here in the Willamette Valley and I was very excited to have some AWD fun in the snow. So I did. Everything was fine. It drives amazing in the snow! Cookies were great fun and all my friends and family were able to count on me for transportation. Then on the last day of the snow I was headed to the gas station and was driving very conservatively. I hit the brakes a little hard and the front wheels locked up and the car made a popping noise. I started to drive again and it popped again then was fine all the way to the gas station.
I went in and bought some shit then came back out and when I went to leave the car seemed like it had ice or something stuck in the whel wells, blocking the tires from spinning. I got out and cleaned it all up and proceeded to leave. I pulled out into the road and drove about 20 feet then all of a sudden clanging, grinding and the wheels lock up sending me sliding through the intersection. I throw it in reverse and am able to back up a couple feet (still thinking something is lodged in there somewhere) then I go forward burning the clutch a bit to get out of the intersection and power through whatever is holding it up.
I inspect the underside of the car, everything looks normal. No fluids leaking or anything. I sit in the car and listen to the clutch, it still engages fine and has the usual bearing noise from when it was first installed. Its an Exedy stage 1 clutch.
Car is now home (had it towed) and I am stumped what it could be. ..
-I can shift into all gears, with a little more effort than before the incident.
-Car will move slowly and has a "chunk" about every 1-1.5 feet.
-clutch is slightly more noisy than before
-If I try to go more than about 10 feet the wheels lock up like something is binding up right at the firewall.
I have my own suspicions but before I get into them lets see what you guys think. And of course ask questions if you need more info. Thank you for your help and hopefully this brings up some more info that would be good for this section.