Let's play a game...

killemalltrac

So I recently finished a 205 engine, tranny, rear end swap into my ST165. I bought a front clip from a 98 Toyota GT-four. I then had Tweak'd performance build me a harness and everything is installed and runs perfectly. I just hit my 750 mile mark (been driving it easy to break in my new clutch.) So here is the problem and I figure it should go in here because I know it is drivetrain related.

After 750 miles I took it into the shop who did my install for an inspection. He looked everything over, checked my fluids, and checked that nothing was coming loose. The car was given a clean bill of health and permission to be romped on.

We had some snow last week...Something that hardly happens here in the Willamette Valley and I was very excited to have some AWD fun in the snow. So I did. Everything was fine. It drives amazing in the snow! Cookies were great fun and all my friends and family were able to count on me for transportation. Then on the last day of the snow I was headed to the gas station and was driving very conservatively. I hit the brakes a little hard and the front wheels locked up and the car made a popping noise. I started to drive again and it popped again then was fine all the way to the gas station.
I went in and bought some shit then came back out and when I went to leave the car seemed like it had ice or something stuck in the whel wells, blocking the tires from spinning. I got out and cleaned it all up and proceeded to leave. I pulled out into the road and drove about 20 feet then all of a sudden clanging, grinding and the wheels lock up sending me sliding through the intersection. I throw it in reverse and am able to back up a couple feet (still thinking something is lodged in there somewhere) then I go forward burning the clutch a bit to get out of the intersection and power through whatever is holding it up.
I inspect the underside of the car, everything looks normal. No fluids leaking or anything. I sit in the car and listen to the clutch, it still engages fine and has the usual bearing noise from when it was first installed. Its an Exedy stage 1 clutch.
Car is now home (had it towed) and I am stumped what it could be. ..

-I can shift into all gears, with a little more effort than before the incident.
-Car will move slowly and has a "chunk" about every 1-1.5 feet.
-clutch is slightly more noisy than before
-If I try to go more than about 10 feet the wheels lock up like something is binding up right at the firewall.

I have my own suspicions but before I get into them lets see what you guys think. And of course ask questions if you need more info. Thank you for your help and hopefully this brings up some more info that would be good for this section.

Shaggz00

When you say you inspected the underside of the car, was this in the snow, or did you get all way under there and give everything a really good look over? No broken cv joints, nothing wrapped around the driveshaft, etc.

UtahSleeper

I am guessing front or rear diff is acting up. From what I understand if both front and rear are not being powered it will behave poorly. Just guesses.

You going to check the fluids in the diffs and trans?

knowitalls

On the st165 trans, I know there is a selector for AWD, nuetral, and front wheel drive but I'm not sure the st205 trans has it. Might want to check and see if it is in between positions.

Sounds like trans to me =(

killemalltrac

Shaggz00":268w7g9j said:
When you say you inspected the underside of the car, was this in the snow, or did you get all way under there and give everything a really good look over? No broken cv joints, nothing wrapped around the driveshaft, etc.
I got under there and checked for broken axles, anything around the drive shaft or possibly it being bent or broken, and all around the brake calipers for some debris.

UtahSleeper":268w7g9j said:
I am guessing front or rear diff is acting up. From what I understand if both front and rear are not being powered it will behave poorly. Just guesses.

You going to check the fluids in the diffs and trans?
It is going on a lift tomorrow for a better inspection and fluid check.
knowitalls":268w7g9j said:
On the st165 trans, I know there is a selector for AWD, nuetral, and front wheel drive but I'm not sure the st205 trans has it. Might want to check and see if it is in between positions.

Sounds like trans to me =(
As far as I know the 205 tranny doesn't have this selector. It is full time AWD.

phattyduck

Hopefully just a broken axle...

Jacking it up and spinning things will help get to the bottom of it. Keep in mind that an axle could be broken and not be visible from the outside (everything staying inside the boot).

-Charlie

Front left axle stub that goes into front diff. Maybe that broke off. Everything looks normal on the outside when that happends.

killemalltrac

It's on the lift but haven't had a chance to really do anything. So far everything feels solid... The driveshaft will come out today and see if it still binds up when we try to turn the wheels.

killemalltrac

Engine and transmission are out. The oil that came out was a little burnt but didn't have any metal flakes or chunks in it. Before we pulled it apart you could hear like a jingle in there when you turned the front wheels. So far I am thinking it is either a bearing that blew out and stayed in its case or maybe something inside differential. Will post more when I know more.

killemalltrac

HAHA sorry everyone!! Transmission was bad. Transfer case was fine and now the transmission doesn't even turn by hand. I put the original 165 tranny back in and drove it for the summer. Then I broke more shit and decided to drop it off at KO Racing and get another 205 tranny installed :) Car is excellent now, 3rd new clutch (OEM this time), fuel pump will go in next week then I'll up the boost again :)