Short shifter applications

Gordon12

So guys I was thinking, if there's anyone out there that know, it would be nice to put together a list of true legitimate short shifters, the years they fit, the years they can fit, and cars they can fit. For example if one for a st165 fits a st162, or even if it fits other Gens. Doing this for others and myself. I have done a lot of searching and there really isn't much info on it. As far as I've found, they don't make them for the 162, but there are some that fit. And IM sure there are others that would like to know.

Gordon12

d0yougetme":3de4nabc said:
Very interested...how much more effort does the short shifter (st165 )require?
I actually don't know. Just been told it fits. But with a weighted shift knob and maybe an extension probably be fine.

phattyduck

Most of the mid-80's through late 90's Toyota FWD (or FWD-based) cars have compatible shifters. I use an ST205 shifter on my '89 Camry... and used an ST18x TWM short shifter on my '90 Camry many years back.

The only challenge is finding the right mixture of length, throw, etc. for your car.

-Charlie

Gordon12

Well guys we need some more confirmed applications. As far as this shifter from this car will "for sure" fit in this other car. Because eventually I'd like to make a post containing just the cars and applications for future use and anyone else. That way this topic will "almost" not have to be brought up again.

CMS-GT4

Yep. Just replaced the shifter rod, and greased it was all. I have had it in both 185 housings.

Gordon12

CMS-GT4":6od9wvh5 said:
Yep. Just replaced the shifter rod, and greased it was all. I have had it in both 185 housings.
No cutting mods. Did it really make your throw shorter? Or just hand movement shorter?

Gordon12

CMS-GT4":1h2em1k5 said:
No cutting mods. Did it really make your throw shorter? Or just hand movement shorter?

CMS-GT4

It didn't need cutting to work, but I did shorten the upper arm. The lower section is much longer, reducing the shift, but the top wasn't much shorter than stock so I had that cut and rewelded.

Gordon12

CMS-GT4":abja91m4 said:
It didn't need cutting to work, but I did shorten the upper arm. The lower section is much longer, reducing the shift, but the top wasn't much shorter than stock so I had that cut and rewelded.
Awesome thanks. well that's one more to add to the list.