Front LSD - TorSen type for Celica GT4

kevzep

alltracman78":3qu148oh said:
Pretty sure that's a clutch/disc type.
Toyota1968":3qu148oh said:
Sorry ... Don't think discs are available...... Someone on allteac.net trying to do torsen front and centre from kaaz

Guys, look back at the beginning of this thread and you see this front diff is a Helical (torque sensing) diff.
In other words a torsen.

There are even pictures of it.

KAAZ don't make torsen diffs, they make plate LSD's...

Quaife makes mostly helical (torque sensing) torsen diffs. The also do make some plate LSD's but their range is pretty limited and mostly for motorsport...

BNZ

The main drawback to plate LSD's is that they ware out and need servicing so bearing in mind that the GT4 has a gearbox that is such a P.I.T.A. to take off and open i decided to go with a TorSen type LSD

kevzep

BNZ":1dbax0r4 said:
The main drawback to plate LSD's is that they ware out and need servicing so bearing in mind that the GT4 has a gearbox that is such a P.I.T.A. to take off and open i decided to go with a TorSen type LSD

The performance is what I am after....I don't care about taking the gearbox out, not that difficult in my opinion, I have made a lot of changes to my car so that it is easier to do so...

A plate LSD performs as a 1way 1.5 way or 2 way so the limited slip under power and over-run is controlled, so you have options for what you want you car to do. In a torsen they are only a 1 way which is not suitable for certain applications.

Personally, I do not want my diff's going open on over-run thanks very much....I like stability under braking.

There's more to consider with plate LSD's than just the servicing factor...

BNZ

You are righ regarding performance but still...for everyone else the gearbox is stil a pain to take off :))

kevzep

BNZ":1tbivh0f said:
You are righ regarding performance but still...for everyone else the gearbox is stil a pain to take off :))

Agreed, it is not the easiest gearbox to get off....

Ace

yeah, anybody who did this dont want to do this for a long time again :) the plate type diffs also need to be adjusted to suit driving style of each individual. I wonder how people with road cars will make it with front diff - 2 or 3 times gearbox with engine in and out...
Even the splitting gearbox is not easy as you need pullers etc. and its costly when you let a shop do it

I made some research about front and center diffs and for Lancer Evo (models with viscous coupling) recomended setting for tarmac is softer setting of the center diff - they are using stock unit, and hard setting for gravel where can be used ralliart viscous unit or plate type center diff. But is also recomended to replace front and rear first and only after that look at the center.

more informations are here:
http://www.coordsport.com/blog/2012/04/ ... endations/

That leads me to conclusion that plate front and center diff makes the car understeer on the tarmac, so you would need to add plate type rear but still its more gravel oriented setup.

alltracman78

kevzep":38hhmg0e said:
alltracman78":38hhmg0e said:
Pretty sure that's a clutch/disc type.
Toyota1968":38hhmg0e said:
Sorry ... Don't think discs are available...... Someone on allteac.net trying to do torsen front and centre from kaaz

Guys, look back at the beginning of this thread and you see this front diff is a Helical (torque sensing) diff.
In other words a torsen.

There are even pictures of it.

KAAZ don't make torsen diffs, they make plate LSD's...

Quaife makes mostly helical (torque sensing) torsen diffs. The also do make some plate LSD's but their range is pretty limited and mostly for motorsport...

My comment is in reference to the link to the thread about the Kaaz clutch LSD.....
Read it in context. :)

Toyota1968

For tarmac - overly tight centre diff promotes understeer - absolute fact - for gravel where all wheels spinning a little is preferable to power loss through one or two wheels spinning a lot - tight centre diff is more important - but causes more tyre wear ......= see current arc cars with mechanical diffs v's previous ( and future) arc cars with active diffs.....

alltracman78

So, back to the original topic, is this dead in the water?
Or is there anyone still interested in a front TORSEN diff instead of a plate type?

TRDTurko

I just want whats best for autocross and road racing but no one seems to be able to agree on what is the best setup for that... :shrug:

underscore

TRDTurko":7498owep said:
I just want whats best for autocross and road racing but no one seems to be able to agree on what is the best setup for that... :shrug:

Same here, since most of us still use our cars as street cars I want whats best for more "normal" use.

Toyota1968

Best diff is plate - instantaneous and consistent regardless of surface or wheel lifting etc... Torsen seems to be next best compromise for tarmac but instantly stops working when one wheel loses traction...viscous seems to be least favoured.

TRDTurko

thats all well and good for the front and rear but what about the center? how stiff should it be for a neutral handling car on pavement?

kevzep

alltracman78":ke31im4m said:
So, back to the original topic, is this dead in the water?
Or is there anyone still interested in a front TORSEN diff instead of a plate type?

Well, I don't think its necessarily dead in the water, it all depends on what ends up being available and what costs are involved, from my point of view in any case.

If the Kaaz option is too expensive, or doesn't happen for some reason, I am definitely interested in this helical option here....even though I would prefer plate, the helical will be a lot better than the front open diff, that much I do know.
But 900 euros + tax + freight both ways, may actually cost more than the Kaaz, but we'll see.....