how does the gearbox work.....

Toyota1968

Currently looking at gearbox opitons for the rally car and getting confused by final drive ratios........

Can some of the real gurus on here clear up a few terms for me.......

I understand that I can change the ratios of gear 1 to 5 with a gearkit.... from many different suppliers......

suppliers then offer different final drive ratios........ is the final drive in the 185 gearbox a gear that goes after gears 1 to 5 and before the transfer box ...... in this way the final drive ratio can then be changed without worrying about having to change the rear diff ratio.......

I am usually pretty good mechnically but have knotted my brain imagining how the gearbox ratios interrelate without having the advantage of seeing one in front of me....

as ever thanks in advance.......

schematically i see it as........

drive from clutch goes to input shaft goes through gearkit to output shaft goes to final drive then goes to transfer gear / centre diff which splits drive to front and rear .... front drive goes through front diff gear to front shafts to wheel hubs, rear drive goes through propshaft to rear diff gear which spilts drive to each wheel......

anyone got a link to a diagram -> 4wd gearbox for idiots.......

alltracman78

Toyota1968":1mzghuhl said:
drive from clutch goes to input shaft goes through gearkit to output shaft goes to final drive then goes to transfer gear / centre diff which splits drive to front and rear .... front drive goes through front diff gear to front shafts to wheel hubs, rear drive goes through propshaft to rear diff gear which spilts drive to each wheel......

That's pretty much it man.