Removing the transmission from the engine

awdmofo

So I finally got the engine/trans out of the car. The BGB shows little pictures and information about how to disconnect the trans from the engine. I assume there are many various bolts that need to be removed then it should slide off the engine. The BGB just says "pull trans 2-3 inches straight away from the engine" then shows some arrow pointing to the front of the trans saying to slide/push it to the right away from the engine, then next shows another arrow pointing straight away from the engine. HELP :cry: :cry: :bangshead: :bangshead:

Thank you!

MrDB

Undo all bolts, pul transmition off it then needs to rotate to clear block then continue to pull off.

Easier to put engine on cambelt end and drop transmition back on from above when replacing. ( use hoist )

FC Zach

MrDB":1g32yb6o said:
Undo all bolts, pul transmition off it then needs to rotate to clear block then continue to pull off.

Definitely easier said than done, it took me a while to get mine separated.

MrDB":1g32yb6o said:
Easier to put engine on cambelt end and drop transmition back on from above when replacing. ( use hoist )

This is what I ended up doing.

zaluss

I found it easiest to rotate the engine on its side and use the 'silo' method.

qejKuJ5l.jpg

12Ybq7gl.jpg

I too did the silo method. It really is the best way to do it. Set the engine on a thick chunk of cardboard on the crank pulley. Then use an engine hoist to pull the trans up. Massively easier

awdmofo

MrDB":3djn9w00 said:

I do have an hoist so that is possible. Dumb question but which bolts do I remove. It looks like the transmission has bolts that maybe connect just to the engine, maybe some that connect just to the transfer assembly ect...

JRWperformance":3djn9w00 said:
I too did the silo method. It really is the best way to do it. Set the engine on a thick chunk of cardboard on the crank pulley. Then use an engine hoist to pull the trans up. Massively easier

Silo method?? :shrug: :shrug:

zaluss":3djn9w00 said:
I found it easiest to rotate the engine on its side and use the 'silo' method.

Thanks for the pics, is that a 185 engine/trans though? I see a 165 hiding there :D. What I am working with here...

zaluss

awdmofo":2zice87o said:
Thanks for the pics, is that a 185 engine/trans though? I see a 165 hiding there :D. What I am working with here...

That is a 205 engine that I swapped into my ST165.

Should be essentially the same concept. You want to rotate the crank pulley on its side (on something like a old thick pillow like I did) and then pull the trans up via the hoist. Without the head, you may have some balancing issues this way.

awdmofo

So what I actually did was disconnect the front diff from the trans and kept it bolted with a bracket to the block. lifted the engine on one side and only had to lift like not even a foot and the trans slid right off the block. Much easier than I expected.