185 driveline center supports

jones45

The center supports of my 185 are trashed and Toyota has discontinued the replacements. Any suggestions for alternatives or alternative sources?

Magroo

I said F it and bought a pair from eBay. I know I need at least 1, and my driveline from the transfer case back could use a refresh.

Use code PSPRINGTIME for another 15% off. Was 129.20 shipped.

What's life without a little risk. My gut feeling says they'll fit but I can eat the loss if they don't. I've spent money on stupider things.

Redrkt01

I'd like to know myself. I posted about that on the FB alltrac page and some of the resident dumb-asses laughed at me cuz the ebay ad references the "1.6" motor. For one, I wouldn't put it past someone creating an ebay ad to accidentally put incorrect information in the title. And secondly we all know there is no 1.6L Toyota motor mated to an AWD transmission. What would that even be? The 7A? I'm relatively certain that those are going to fit once you get underneath your trac. Keep us posted.

Redrkt01

Shit! You're right! I forgot about that weird little car. Well I hope this part is truly a Celica component....

jones45

If you check the detail section of the eBay ad it gives a Toyota part number. Search a Toyota parts supplier and it will give you two more alternate numbers that are encouraging.

Magroo

I think I remember reading the st165 and st185 driveshafts are interchangeable.

The part numbers come back as 88-89 st165. 37230-20110

st185 is 37230-20121

I'm just not sure about the interchange on them.

I guess I'm going to be the guinea pig, but it maybe a little while before I can climb under my car(it's sort of snowing today).

Magroo

So last night I started watching Project Binky https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 3e313-GLTO again from the start and got up to the point they were installing the driveshaft (episode 4 or 5) and it practically bolted right up. It got me thinking about these carrier bearings again. The driveshaft they used was from a lexus i200/toyota Alteza.

I went seaching for the support bearing and found that febest makes them and they are relatively cheap. Now these are not bolt on but I'm curious to see if it can be pressed out of the mount and in to ours. TCB-024 for $23 its worth the risk I think. I have too much to do right now so it will be a little while before I can dig in to it more.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3026007691

underscore

Assuming the inner bit is the same, the mounting bracket only looks slightly different (ours being angled vs flat). A couple of careful cuts and welds and you might be able to modify it to fit.

The rear drive shaft carrier bearings on an ST185 had this as the original Toyota P/N:

- 37230-20120: Bearing Assy, Center Support, No.1: Qty. Req'd: 2

In North America, this bearing was also used on the ST165. Same is true in Europe, Japan, and other markets.

P/N 37230-20120 was superseded by 37230-20121.

From what I can see, neither P/N is available from Toyota anymore.

I was in the Febest catalog - I could not find a Febest alternative to this bearing. Perhaps they made them at one time, but I can't find any current inventory.