No Speedometer, Stopped Working

FC Zach

My speedometer stopped working this week and today I had time to find the issue. While searching the forum last night to better prepare myself for what to look for, I found that most experienced a broken gear or lower cable however my issue was with *neither. Here's something else to consider for anyone in the future. . .

*Edit: See below post, shortly after I found that the gear shaft broke too

First off, I have an E150F transmission in a '92 ST185

The issue I had was with the key between the speedometer shaft sleeve and the speedometer cable adapter, one of the stamped ends sheared off. I called Toyota and the key is still available, cost is ~$9.

40225268355_8948575fe8_z.jpg

FC Zach

Upon closer inspection I found there was more to the issue above. . If you are as lucky as i am, you will also need a *speedometer shaft sleeve :( When I called Toyota to place another order the guy told me that there were only three of these remaining in the country and at a price of ~$35. I'm hoping this doesn't happen again.

*Correction. . . This is not a sub-assembly like I had presumed, I completely overlooked the gear by itself.

27247777328_4b05904497_z.jpg

FC Zach

I'm glad you pointed that out! I completely overlooked that gear by itself and ordered the sleeve thinking it was a sub-assembly. Thanks!

Edit: When I called the dealership the third time to correct the previous order and get a gear on the way, he said that there were 15 in the country. Of that amount, 13 were ordered. . . So assuming they're accounted for, there is one left! Get it while it's available if you need one!

FC Zach

Parts came in today. . Not wanting to risk damaging the replacements, I searched for a possible source of the issue. Assuming the cable adapter locked up and caused the key/driven-gear damage, I wanted to disassemble it to know for sure. Here's what I found (gear damage).

26413396057_1071328231_z.jpg