Clutch Bearing

DanG

So I bought an ACT clutch bearing for my ST185. It came with two wire clips. Only one seems to work with my application. Is this normal. Couldn’t use the old one as an example as it was in 3 pieces when I removed it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheNubkins

My advice - use only the Toyota OEM release bearing with the clutch. I recently had a brand new ACT release bearing fail after less than 500km, and most of that was highway.

DanG

TheNubkins":2cl00pem said:
My advice - use only the Toyota OEM release bearing with the clutch. I recently had a brand new ACT release bearing fail after less than 500km, and most of that was highway.

Shit. When it came it is one of the brands recommended by others. It’s not actually ACT branded it was one of three recommended by others on this page. Fingers crossed I guess.

underscore

After all the horror stories of release bearing issues I went through the cost and hassle of ordering OEM Toyota from the dealer for my GTS only to find out it's a third party part in a Toyota box anyways. Next time I wouldn't use one that comes with a clutch kit but I wouldn't bother with "OEM" either, I'd just buy a good one from a quality brand like Timken or SKF.

DanG

underscore":3sbkee5r said:
After all the horror stories of release bearing issues I went through the cost and hassle of ordering OEM Toyota from the dealer for my GTS only to find out it's a third party part in a Toyota box anyways. Next time I wouldn't use one that comes with a clutch kit but I wouldn't bother with "OEM" either, I'd just buy a good one from a quality brand like Timken or SKF.

Any idea about the metal clips they come with. There was two but only 1 seemed to fit properly. Am I supposed to use both or is one for a different application

underscore":124b9vb2 said:
It's possible, in this case, that someone else ordered this throw-out bearing through Toyota, used it, and placed a non-Toyota part back in the box and returned it to the dealer for credit (perhaps given the cost difference), and no one in parts would know the swap was made, so it got put back into inventory, and you just happened to be the next person who ordered this throw-out bearing. GIven price differences between OEM and aftermarket, this kind of behavior is unfortunately not uncommon. So I wouldn't rule out Toyota OEM parts. Just need to know what to expect when it comes in (in your case, with your old one in 3 pieces, this wasn't possible).

underscore

It had to be ordered in from the warehouse so I don't think that was the case. It was a higher-end brand that I'd heard of before but the name escapes me at the moment. I doubt Toyota would actually make their own bearings.

DanG

One-TracMind":3l2htwqj said:
NSK (not to be confused with NTN) is the common bearing supplier for Japanese vehicles.

I believe that is what ACT sent me so fingers crossed it’s decent.