VCE (Viscous Coupling Eliminator) group-buy feeler

Lets talk clutches and everything drivetrain related

Re: VCE (Viscous Coupling Eliminator) group-buy feeler

Postby MWP » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:01 pm

It's great this option exists, but it's not for me either.

These will be great for gravel rally and dedicated 1/4 mile cars, but not much else.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
My collection of GT4 documentation: http://gt4.mwp.id.au
[color=Blue]Daily:
Toyota RAV4 ACA23R
Race-Car: Toyota GT4 ST185 5S-GTE
MWP
Established Member

Postby RedCelicaTRD » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:00 pm

That’s what happened on Trevor’s car when he locked the viscous coupler. He drives his car quite a bit so it’s not really clear if it was the high power level by itself that blew up the center diff or if it was caused by the locked coupler. He no longer has a locked coupler, but I think he blew another transmission later that had a stock coupler.

However, there are a few other cars with locked couplers that are more drag racing only and don’t see street time that seem to have better transmission reliability then Trevor did.
Wayne
1990 All Trac
Grumpy Moderator
RedCelicaTRD
GTFour God

Postby eric thompson » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:22 pm

Well.... I've taken everyone's input, pros and cons, spoken to some DSM/Evo folks and I even reached out to Robert Fuller of RobiSpec (I'm sure most know of his reputation with setting up AWD track cars, mostly Evos, and their performance speaks volumes)... The general consensus is that a locked VC or VCE will hurt my race car more than it will help it's performance. I'm still going to see how this group buy feeler pans out, including other forums as well but.... and a it's a big BUT...
I may have an actual VC refurb upgrade for us all!
In my unrelenting quest I found a company that specializes in upgraded VC's for the crowd of 4x4 off-road racers and rock crawlers. I am shipping a complete VC to them next week and the owner sounded very confident over the phone about being able to reliably upgrade the existing units. Provided the internal plates aren't fried.
I'll keep all posted once I know it's a viable option for us and whoever's interested can contact them directly.
Sound good?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
ST165-PARTS-RED
ST165-SCCA STU ROADRACING-(RALLISPEC'S ST165)
NEED ONE MORE FOR STREET:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-RCuV_Hmqk (ITS miata 6spd,4.78 rear, shitloads of fun!! multiple wins and track records in 2014)
eric thompson
Club Member

Postby tHeGeeK » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:13 am

That sounds promising, look forward to your feedback about it!
tHeGeeK
Club Member

Previous

Return to Drivetrain Central