Speedometer Cable Leaking Oil

spcmarti85

Hey everyone,
A couple of months ago I found oil on the driver side floor board. After removing the cluster I found that oil was coming from the mechanical speedo cable where it connects to the cluster.

That part of the cable is discontinued and I can't find a replacement part anywhere. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a way to fix it?

Thanks for any help yall can give me!

Your cable assemblies are not the problem - they are simply transferring oil from the transmission that should not be getting to the speedometer cables. You need to replace your oil seals. See below:

Attachments

• ST185 Speedometer Shaft Oil Seals.jpg
    ST185 Speedometer Shaft Oil Seals.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,308

spcmarti85

So I took off the speedo cable assembly and couldn't find the seal (33404E). I can't even see where it would go even if it were missing. Am I missing something here? I attached photos of each end of the assembly.

Attachments

• Firewall_Speedo_Cable.JPG
    Firewall_Speedo_Cable.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,178
  • Attach _End_To_Transmission.JPG
    Attach _End_To_Transmission.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 1,178
  • Attach _End_To_Inside_Speedo_Cable.JPG
    Attach _End_To_Inside_Speedo_Cable.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,178

r-town

Speedometer_part_numbers_update.jpg

You need to take a look at the actual speedometer attached to the transmission, not the cable. The seal is inside the speedometer shaft sleeve. You have to remove the speedometer (which might be a pain if engine is still in car and have large hands). Once this is out, you remove the speedometer driven gear, and pry it out the seal.