Other Celica shifters in a ST165

Mateo

I recently purchased a ST165 and it has a TWM short shifter but the shifter is just too stiff for my taste. Is it possible to put in other non All Trac shifters into the ST165 or is there a direct OEM replacement somewhere? Thanks for the help

I just installed new shift cables in my ST165 from an ST185. They needed to be shortened to fit correctly. I would guess the shifter set up is specific to the car.

I'm guessing the stiffness you feel might be worn out shift cables. Mine were super stiff and got worse during the winter. New cables have made a night/day difference.

Dracov

I have an ST165 shifter housing with an ST205 shifter stalk installed. It's only an inch or so shorter and has a shorter throw distance without being super stiff, so maybe that's an option to look into provided it's not the cables

MR2Heaven.com is where I got my ST185 cables. They are reproduction cables, but are good quality after a year or so of use now.

Also, there is a thread in the drive-train section on shifter cables. I have a post on the lengths the cables in there. There are a pair of cables and both must be cut, shortened and the ends welded back on. It was actually not that hard with my cheap 110v welder. They bolt right in after trimming.