E150F Reverse Gear

calyzoo

I'm in the midst of piecing together all the parts I need to rebuild my transmission in my ST185. I'm wanting to replace the 1st/2nd gear sleeve (i.e. reverse gear) which comes up as 33331-20050. Unfortunately, this part is discontinued and doesn't seem to be available anywhere. I also can't find any reference to a part that would have replaced it that's still compatible with 1st and 2nd gear. I thought I had lined up an E154F to swap in but the seller has been unresponsive. Wondering what my options are?

It does appear that gear is discontinued. I don't have a solution for you, but in checking where that gear was used, I see it was also used in 1990-1993 North American MR2's with the 3S-GTE engine. At least that might widen your availability to find something used.

alltracman78

I don't know why in the hell Toyota is calling that a reverse gear in their parts catalog. Pretty sure that's the synchronizer hub sleeve.

It's fairly possible some other 15X transmission sleeves may also fit. That's a decent few transmissions. I know the E150F and the E151F are very very similar. At least as far as the 92/93 E150F.

Going off 15 or so year old memories here, but IIRC the 92/93 E150F was identical inside to the RC transmission, except for 1/2 and final drive ratios. And IIRC the RC had the early E151F? Same probably goes for the 94^ E150 or E151? Whatever the MR trans designation is.

I'm actually curious myself, one of these days I want to redo some of my transmissions...... It's just not in the cards to dig them out right now.

I think there is something you may be missing or misunderstanding.

See the attached exploded parts diagram. The ST185 E150F has both a reverse gear (33331-20050), a 1st Gear (33032-20070), and a No. 1 synchronizer ring (33367-20040) in between 1st gear and reverse gear. Which one are you really looking for?

Attachments

• ST185 E150F Trans Gears.jpg
    ST185 E150F Trans Gears.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 559

calyzoo

I'm doing synchro's and planned on grabbing the sleeves as well. The reverse gears acts as a hub sleeve as well which is why I'm after it. With supply chain being the way it is these days I was hoping to gather the parts I think I may need before cracking the trans open. I figured if there's any chance that there's wear on those teeth I might as well replace it while I'm in there. I don't know how long my 2nd gear synchro has been acting up (new owner) so I wanted to err on the side of caution. I'll probably just take a chance at this point and hope there isn't unusual wear.

Given the gears (sleeves) are hardened, and the synchros are soft, I doubt you will have wear to the hub sleeves. Also, if your ST185 was generally driven as a road vehicle, I doubt there is much wear on the reverse/1st gear sets. I'm thinking your gears will be fine. Your approach to check/see first is likely good - if you can wait for the inspection and then lead time for necessary replacement parts (don't have a need to drive the car until spring).

alltracman78

My apologies for any confusion I caused.

I looked at a different parts diagram quickly and misinterpreted.

I was thinking of the reverse idler gear (33402 in the diagram 93celi posted).

That is part of the reverse gearing.

In a manual trans each "gear" has 2 gears. One on the input shaft and one on the output shaft. One of the gears is machined as part of one of the two shafts so is always rotating with the shaft. The other gear in the set is normally free spinning. When you put the car in that particular gear it "locks" the free spinning gear in the set to the shaft which makes both shafts rotate, which rotates the final drive, ect.
IIRC that hub sleeve is between 1 and 2 on the output shaft. Unless the trans is in 1 or 2 it's locked to the output shaft but nothing else. If you put the trans in 1 or 2 it will slide down (for 1) or up (for 2) to lock the respective gear on the output shaft.
The input shaft (33311) has 1, 2, and R machined as part of it. When you put the trans in R the reverse idler gear (33402) meshes with the input shaft and that hub sleeve (33331)(remember it's locked to the output shaft unless it's in 1 or 2) to change the rotational direction of the output shaft (33321) (you're effectively adding a third "shaft" between the input and output shafts, and since each shaft turns in the opposite direction of the one before it, it changes the direction the output shaft rotates) and put the car in R.

Hopefully that unnecessary lesson made sense. :p