6th or 7th gen shifter into st185

rightrac

Ok well i bought this shifter off celica tech and was told it was a 6th gen heres a pic

shifter2.jpg

anyone verify ?

In any case, i took it apart, took out the lever and did the same with my stock assembly and then i swithed the levers. everything seemed simple enough until i went to put it (the old housing with the new lever) back into the car. The new lever is sticking down to far and it bottoming out on the car so i can't put the four nuts back on. I was told this lever was a good swap to shorten throw but it doesn't seem to fit? what the hay?

anyone try this b4? if so do you have pics of it installed? i dunno what i am missing here. :shrug:

BraveUlysses

Use some washers as spacers to lift the base higher off the floor. The TWM shifter comes with some washers to do just this, because it will hit the floor otherwise.

Gary

^^^^
Werd.

By the way, I can confirm that it looks like 94+ shifter assembly.
(plastic base + longer bottom arm)

rightrac

ok, i'll try the washers later tonight, but as i remember it there isn't enough thread on the bolts for this.

Does anyone have a pic of the way the shifter spring is situated ? i just want to double check i got it right b4 i put this in.

thanks

tweekgt4

i have a 6th gen shifter and i used 3 washers on each corner. the washers were about the diameter of a nickel and i think they were about 1mm thick.

rightrac

ok well after like 2 hours of messing with this, i freaking give up! anyone wanna buy this 94 shifter? lol i put my stock shifter back in.

just installed rightrac's old 6th gen shifter :D

i'll go take a pic of it in a second so everyone can know how it looks installed. feels pretty good to me. i used 4 washers for each stud, and the nuts still fit on. and i'm pretty sure i've got slight clearance on the bottom end. it shifts fine anyway, and i don't really hear any scraping. feels much better than stock, and almost as good as twm in my opinion.

pics to come very soon.

k_trac

I agree with the 6th gen shifter. I am using the one out of my ST205 clip, and I love it. Half the throw of the stocker! Use those brass end links too, those make it feel awsome.

I used 3 or 4 washers, not too much thread left over for the nuts, but enough to make it work.

Just jack it up mang!

haha, ok, back from the dead.

i bought another 6th gen shifter for my brother's st185. but i could've sworn last time i just switched the pivot caps from one to the other. but the ones on his don't fit the 6th gen rod.

the 6th gen rod came without any caps. does anyone know if the caps for the 6th gens wind up still being the same outside diameter to fit in the st185 assembly? if so, anyone know of a good way to get just the caps? if not, i'm confused as to how i easily installed the shifter into my 90 st185, but it apparently wouldn't work without alot more parts in his 90 st185 :doh:

just seems odd to me.

the little plastic caps that go over the nubs where the shifter cables connect :)

now that i think harder, i think i may have gotten part of this confused with my old twm shifter on my st165.

i now believe that my shifter that i put in my old st185 came with the caps, and i didn't change them. so i'm guessing we'll need to get ahold of some 6th gen plastic caps.

alltracman78

Ah, gotcha.
I think I had to mod mine to fit my TWM.
I forget now....

Have you tried shaving or grinding a SLIGHT bit off?

Gary

The plastic cups that come with ST20x shifter will fit right in the metal pieces at the end of the shifter cables on ST18x.

I'm not sure if the inside diameter of the plastic cups of ST18x and St20x are the same or not. :(

there's nothing for me to shave, the problem is that the st20X ends are too small. so the caps may go over them...but they certainly won't stay :doh:

here's to hoping toyota will sell the caps by themselves...hopefully i can find out the part # if so. i don't feel like going to a junkyard and digging one out... :p