Help with rear diff mount (have you changed yours?)

QIK_GT4

A clunking noise could be heard from the rear of the car when changing gears or suddenly accelerating. (this is a different noise from gear box crunches) apparently this seems to be a very common problem amongst us GT4/AT owners?

I've heard people say that by changing the rear dif mount the problem can be solved, is this true and has anyone done this yet?

from me to just change the rubber inserts its $127 each! x2

heres a pic of the rear diff mount

diffrear.gif

Gary

True. Many people have done this.
But you don't need to replace with stock one, which is expensive.
You can make one yourself with polyurethane.
Or you can buy an aluminium one from Mario.
Do the search. It has been discussed many many times.

jprine01

The aluminum one from mario isnt just that bushing, its really a kit. It comes with nylon (pretty much solid) bushings for the other 2 bushings that hold the diff too. They are large cylinder type bushings, that look just like the rear subframe mount bushings. I installed his bushings along with new subframe mounts and my whole car seems way stiffer, not sure what bushings did it in paticutular since i changed a bunch, but it is really nice feeling now.

Nice picture btw how did you draw that so accurate looking.

RIalltrac

I have a solid poly one that I did, it definately improved the whole situation. Mine was way shot and I already had poly suspension bushings in place, so when I added the poly diff mount everything got super tight. In your post you said something about the mount costing 127 bucks x2, theres only one diff mount, what does the x2 refer to?

beej

actually doing a group buy from mario ATM with some other GT-Four owners here in Australia at the moment, if u need it , prolly good to jump on board, cut off is Friday the 15th of June (this friday)

http://majorca.globat.com/~ozcelica.com ... php?t=1728

details are there (www.ozcelica.com)

he diff mounts are made by Mario Konig from GT4OC.co.uk, have had plenty of praise, and are good units from every report i have read.
included is the alloy diff mount and poly bushes for the diff carrier

the group buy is SIX, that is all he has in STOCK

the cost including shipping to one adress for all six is 980USD
thats 1306.67 AUD at teh current exchange rate or $217.78 EACH, toyota DOES charge 323AUD for a new one

advantages: cheaper, will not break, better throttle response yadda yadda

theres currently 2 left

QIK_GT4

i was told by toyota that the rubber inserts come in 2 pieces 1 for each side... man i dont think the toyota guy knew what he was talking about...

ok.. 1 question before i do jump into gettign it changed... how much do the mechanics (a regular mechanic) charge for labour and does it take long and is it a tough job?

jprine01

oh the rubber inserts he might of been talking about are those 2 clyinder type bushings for the diff carrier (left and right of the diff), you'd still need the one on the end, that one is like 200$ alone from toyota.

mike325ci

i actually looked at that exact same website when i needed to pour my own urethane for the mounts for my ST165. but the thing is, just like him, my mounts, after some driving, began to come a little bit loose from the metal too. i am not sure if the urethane pouring method is a good long-term fix to this. just a thought. i think if the cushion on my ST185 goes, i'm just gonna get factory toyota ones.

and to answer the original poster's question: the process can be done by yourself, but it helps to have another person to help shift things around, as it can be hard to get the cushion assembly out and in (something needs to support the differential box when the mount is disconnected).

RIalltrac

after looking at his pics, the pic he has of the mount being clean and ready to go would be totally unacceptable in my books. Theres rust and what appears to be small traces of the rubber still in there. I went the full monty with mine and brought everything down to bare metal and I've yet to have any issues. The poly will bond very well with bare metal, but if you leave anything that will create a pocket between it and the metal in there eventually its going to separate. .02 cents :shrug:

mike325ci

RIalltrac":3qbf8lb5 said:
I went the full monty with mine and brought everything down to bare metal and I've yet to have any issues.
doh! :doh: i didn't do that to mine, i admit... okay, so it was my shoddy workmanship. :) so ignore my comments, they are meaningless. :)

___Scott___

RIalltrac":13pp7622 said:
after looking at his pics, the pic he has of the mount being clean and ready to go would be totally unacceptable in my books. Theres rust and what appears to be small traces of the rubber still in there. I went the full monty with mine and brought everything down to bare metal and I've yet to have any issues. The poly will bond very well with bare metal, but if you leave anything that will create a pocket between it and the metal in there eventually its going to separate. .02 cents :shrug:

I agree that the old mount should be cleaned better, but... that mount is closing in on three years old and without a prybar to lift the diff, I can't even tell the poly has separated from the frame. It still looks just like in the pics + a little more road grime. It doesn't feel any different now than when I put it in, and it's my daily driver and gets plenty of miles.

For those who really want the poly to stick to the metal, there are preparation proceedures that include media blasting the metal to create a rough clean metal surface, and a special primer that sticks to the metal better and the poly sticks to the primer better. With the proper preparation proceedure, the poly wouldn't come off the metal without a grinder.

For me, it doesn't matter that the poly separated from the frame because it isn't going anywhere. It's still tightly enclosed in the frame and doesn't clunk.

BriinumsBo

Gary ST165":2iwcjc55 said:
http://alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11234&highlight=

topic doesnt exist..

anyway, has anyone links to guides/pics for replacing rear diff mount? besides turbocelica.nl and gtfours.co.uk ?
ultimately im looking for replacing the whole rear subframe bushings, but i guess it cannot be done tomorrow, i have only 5 hours available :/