Punknoodle's ST185

Talk about your project car here

Re: Punknoodle's ST185

Postby FC Zach » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:20 am

Punknoodle wrote:I'm sure I will end up selling it but I'll keep it for a while as a spare.

Out of curiosity, is there that much more difference between a ceramic wheeled CT26 (which I have) and a CT20B? Or is a 20B better matched to a modified 26 (CT27)? . . or even better than the CT27?

From what I've read the ceramic wheeled 26 spools faster than the standard 26 but I don't know how it compares to the 20B. The figures for a 27 by ATS show 300rwhp so I wonder how it compares to that as well. .

Either way, none of that really matters at this point since I have a monstrous front mount (installed by previous owner that I never got around to replacing, but it looks nice though) that is better suited for a high horsepower app. so any turbo I'm looking at is gonna have to work for a few to build pressure until I get a better size for my set-up.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
1992 Toyota Celica AllTrac
1993 Yamaha GTS1000
1987 Mazda RX7 Sport
1979 Yamaha G1A, rotary powered with Sachs KM24
FC Zach
Established Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby Punknoodle » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:56 am

FC Zach wrote:Out of curiosity, is there that much more difference between a ceramic wheeled CT26 (which I have) and a CT20B? Or is a 20B better matched to a modified 26 (CT27)? . . or even better than the CT27?

From what I've read the ceramic wheeled 26 spools faster than the standard 26 but I don't know how it compares to the 20B. The figures for a 27 by ATS show 300rwhp so I wonder how it compares to that as well. .

Either way, none of that really matters at this point since I have a monstrous front mount (installed by previous owner that I never got around to replacing, but it looks nice though) that is better suited for a high horsepower app. so any turbo I'm looking at is gonna have to work for a few to build pressure until I get a better size for my set-up.

Not too sure regarding the different turbos. I was originally running a CT26 then switched to the CT20B (ceramic wheel). I did a heap of other upgrades at the same time including ECU so hard to say how much better it is by itself but it makes good power right to the redline where the CT26 fell over. Spool is excellent as you'd expect.

I limited myself to 19psi though with the CT20B due to the ceramic wheel.
Punknoodle
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

Postby Punknoodle » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:30 am

So, I had a reasonably good day out at Morgan Park last month - the car had a couple of issues which I sorted, but it still put a bit of a dampener on things. On the plus side, the circuit is absolutely mega, I loved it and can't wait to go back there. I also got a few great photos from a photographer, which I'll post at the bottom of this post.

One of the issues I had on the day was the banjo bolt for the wastegate actuator came out. This caused the car to overboost, which the ECU controlled by cutting fuel, but it's definitely not a good thing. The idle also went quite lean and WOT is a little leaner than before. I decided that I'd just bite the bullet and proceed with the fitment of the Precision turbo. While I'm at it, I'm going over everything making sure it's ok, injectors have come out and are getting cleaned and tested, new fuel filter going on etc.

I disassembled the external wastegate then took the wastegate housing, manifold, dump pipe and wastegate pipe to Competition Coatings to get black ceramic coated, as they were plain stainless before. I need to try to control under bonnet temperatures as much as possible.

I've also sorted out all the plumbing I need for oil lines, wastegate lines etc. I'm going to use Speedflow braided teflon with AN fittings for the lot, from turbo to boost solenoid to wastegate. I don't want there to be a problem with a wastegate line again, so I think it's worth it. I'm also making my own oil return flange for the sump with a AN-10 weld on fitting to keep everything nice and tidy.

I've removed the old turbo and done some tidying in the bay. It's nice to be able to lose the big coolant hard line, the big oil line and drain for the turbo, the large turbo bracket and the big heavy cast manifold etc. I've also remounted the boost solenoid closer to the turbo. Once the new turbo goes in, everything is V-Band and the new lines are all flexible braid so it should look a lot tider.

So yes, shouldn't be too long now till the turbo is in and I can match up the exhaust and intercooler plumbing.

Finally, shots of Morgan Park as promised:
ImageSkid Control Track Day by Nick Winsor, on Flickr
Punknoodle