abeans st185 - Kill 1 Save Another

abeans

Project isn't dead, just been too cold.

In the mean time, my sloothy google skills found old pictures of the car from circa 2006, tried to contact the PO but they haven't responded. Don't blame them too much.

TNhm2Qfl.jpg

CdejvSUl.jpg

Ozswrb4l.jpg

Pretty cool to see with nice paint and no hacked up front scoop, hope to get it better than it was then.

abeans

Jones45":20rkc5go said:
Those are cool looking gauges. What are they? Where are they from?

Thanks, 2 of 3 from speedhut. Tach is Stack brand. Wish i would have done all 3 in speedhut.

abeans

Mr Alltrac":8k29wlaa said:
Do you have plenty of parts off the rusted car? I need alot of exterior trim for my car.
I do have quite a bit, some of its already been picked up or sold. Send me a PM what you are looking for.

abeans

Cluster back together, starting putting rest of the interior back in, def wouldn't run that stack gauge if i was doing it agian. Fouls the hvac surround a bit. Oh well.

Next on the agenda...Previous owner #1 hacked apart the steering columns auto-up tilt thingy. So deciding if i want to try to fix the one that's in there with parts or use the entire assembly from the parts car...

aEg3BDBl.jpg

Got a replacement scoop for the cut one. Carbon looks kinda out of place, but still better than cut up oem.
oVPXxXQl.jpg

And last but not least, Ksport Gravels's to replace the Megans. These are pretty beefy. Very heavy. Going to miss the ride quality of the Megans though. Kinda wanted to get some really nice suspension but decided to be cheapish here as plan is to just rallycross/street.

cq1jIENl.jpg

Corey

Awesome progress with your car!

I'm curious about the Carbon Microsystems sunroof plug you installed.

How has it been holding up? I see that you installed a non-sunroof headliner - was there any issues with the install of this in terms of fitment? I'm curious if the remaining metal lip around the perimeter of the sunroof opening causes any issues?

My sunroof gasket is starting to show its age and doesn't seal out water was well as it used to, and I can't find a replacement so I'm thinking about going with the delete option.

abeans

Hey thanks,

It fit pretty good. 9/10. I posted some videos if you did not catch it. Biggest gaps were the 4 corners, but close enough sealant filled/sealed.

Headliner is 1:1 sunroof/no sunroof for mounting. Only issue is where the dome light is, can't use OEM mounting, i ended up just velcro or hook and loop it up there.

XSIBk2Tl.jpg

Thanks for reminding me to post, haven't done in a minute.

Made it first time road legal, first vanity plate too. haha.

olXbiVKl.jpg

Most of the interior is back in the car now, at least the parts i care to. I didn't put the rear seatbelts in as i wouldn't put anyone back there i like.

TngL7WQl.jpg

3VfRs06l.jpg

Got this MOMO i picked up cheap, i wanted leather but amazon sent this instead. Don't care enough to send back... Got the horn working too. Yee haw. Need to tidy up the wiring so it doesn't get all criss-crossed.

fPLNX0al.jpg

I put on the RC bumper. I looked EVERYWHERE for the top mounting, which was not included when i bought it. So i used the Alltrac top plate its not a perfect fit and still needs some loving... (and paint, like the rest of this thing)I got the grills/mesh from a contact in Poland, he did a really good job making the mesh.

uYPwWwYl.jpg

Did halogen conversation so i don't die if i drive at night.

fQCjxQcl.jpg

Interior still needs more loving, want to get gauges and radio wired up before i button it down.

Going to drop car off for alignment this upcoming week, and maybe get a bracket made for the front mount intercooler.

Need to ditch brooks racing motor/trans mounts. Rattling my teeth out.

underscore

Would your contact in Poland be open to making more of the mesh bumper inserts? I've been hunting for a lower one for years and my outer ones have seen better days.

I'm curious to hear how you like the gravel coils as well. My current setup is okay but extra travel wouldn't be a bad thing.

abeans

underscore":1bais1hq said:
Would your contact in Poland be open to making more of the mesh bumper inserts? I've been hunting for a lower one for years and my outer ones have seen better days.

I'm curious to hear how you like the gravel coils as well. My current setup is okay but extra travel wouldn't be a bad thing.

Correct, he has a TTE Gr. A car that he is remaking parts of it. I'll see if he's cool with passing contact info along.

lYPtX3xl.jpg

I took the first 'Legal' test drive of the car with the new coils yesterday actually. They ride super nice on the street, can't give them full review for what they are intended for yet.

abeans

These are too nice for this car.

fJrbu55l.jpg

KsTqQMHl.jpg

ZvXeo8cl.jpg

I'm not sure how you LHD guys drive with these, i worked with Daniel @carbonmicrosystems and he is sending me some different mirrors so you can actually use the mirrors as mirrors on the passenger side. He said he's sold over 50 sets and im the first to ever bring it up. :shock:

These are too nice for this car too. Braid FullRace A 17x8 35 Braid USA is pretty close to my work so i figured why not.

2a0Pvkzl.jpg

BJeLONkl.jpg

Dropped the car off to get a alignment at local Drifting place. I trust them more than any other place.

They are also giving me a nice bracket for the intercooler mounting.

I picked up some front clear corners from Australia as well. I THINK i'm done with looks on the car other than paint. Might fool around with tail lights later, but meh for now.

To Do:
-Interior, specifically center console still needs finishing + radio and gauges in center din.
-Figure out what to do with steering column trim. Learned the ST185 VS 184/182 is different. STUPID! My 185 mounting screw holes broke
-Drive more. See if i can find anything else that's dumb.
-Paint - (Delayed.)
-Drum Brakes (e brake)
-Beat the shit out of the exhaust so the cross members fit the subframes correctly. Not sure why this is needed, the exhaust fit the rust parts car it came off of fine.
-Seems my fuel level is not calibrated correctly, change out one of the bulbs and remove ABS bulb.
-Still need some kind of solution for drivers seat, reupulster, or make custom bracket for sparco evo. need more low ideally.
-Missing a grommet in firewall i think for where the a/c used to come out, not sure if it fell out or what.
-Mount fire extinguisher. In hatch i think
-Mount mud flaps.
-Rallycross it.

Im really amazed how far the car has come, i'll have to do a walk around here soon on video.

FC Zach

Very nice, good job.

I believe a member here was experimenting with a repair kit of sorts for the steering column plastics. . If there's been an update to that, I must have missed it but I'm interested in fixing mine as well. Mine is rigged with oversized washers and longer screws.

I also had to make a dent in my downpipe (I used a large ball-peen hammer) to clear the cross member, I believe I took a grinder to the cross member as well.

abeans

Thanks.

Nice. Id really like to have the trim there was hoping I didn't have to rig it up.

It's funny I can't get the rear or front subframes cross members to fit with this exhaust... But I'll have to hammer it next time it's up in the air.

Alikazam

If you mean the front exhaust pipe that goes from the bottom of the primary cat (the downpipe), having made a few fit properly, it sure is tight through there. Even with everything I did i still ended up putting a dent in my 3" pipe for clearance through there. And one place through the rear suspension. Otherwise, full 3" turbo back on my alltrac.

abeans

Thanks for letting me know. Hammering exhaust soon lol.

Got the car back from alignment and getting some nice mounting intercooler brackets made.

Alignment in rear didn't go well. Some of the toe arms cam bolts are froze :( He didn't want to chance breaking stuff. Guess I'll need to swap my spare subframe in sooner than later.

53ZmjJwl.jpg

QyNX4PMl.jpg

gOaOuwql.jpg

Now with at least the front end straight i feel ok driving around. Put a few cruising miles on it.

My newest annoyances:
1. Ambient engine bay temp is insane hot. I got a feeling any work that intercooler is doing is just going to be negated by the pipes cooking on the way in. I would think with the All trac scoop and the side vents this would not be the case but it's lava... which leads me to Item #2...

2.. It has this burny-plasticy-hot-coolant-old car smell. It stinks, and i hate it. Partially wonder if it's because i don't have the coolant overflow tank hooked up. Its's terrible. I gotta hook that up, but i don't think that's it. Engine temp doesn't run hot, it has no serious drivability issues. Got any ideas what it could be?

3. This car has no balls below 3200 rpm. It's so slow down low, but she really comes alive in the upper RPMS... I'm thinking we might have to add TVIS back in (i didn't take it out, came like this) how much am i going to hate life trying to pull this intake manifold off in car?

Here is light throttle cruising video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LksPR15oSmE

abeans

Finally!! the last piece! (Not my mismatch socks)

st185rc bumper bracket! ive been looking forever and tried ordering several from japan.
IWlwZZml.jpg

Car hasn't got much use, been lazy about fixing my car and engine swapping friends cars. Bought a bunch of heat management stuff for the downpipe, just need motivation to do it.

abeans

Public service announcement celica owners, please stop chopping harness's apart and leaving it like this. Both All tracs previous owners had a case of cutting wires, please stop this madness i'm losing my mind, and discovered why some of my speakers don't work....... Going to make my own amp bypass from this, as it's fucked anyway

xDzXmWel.jpg

Bumper is Complete. Need to de-molest the drivers side fender, seems to be bent some causing not perfect fitment of the end.

0ybVOkwl.mp4

h8uEkGul.jpg