HOYS' ST185 Res-Q

Talk about your project car here

Re: HOYS' ST185 Res-Q

Postby hoys » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:55 pm

I love it when a plan comes together.

Was looking to wire in my fuel pressure sender to the ECU. Turns out the now obsolete PIM is a 5V sensor. Repin the wires and hook the PIM signal up in the ECUMaster adapter, bam fuel pressure.

Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
hoys
Club Member

Postby abeans » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:26 am

Very nice. I admire your quality of work.

Do you do some form of engineering/car modding for a living?
1990 St185 Celica
@abeans07 i post car stuff
abeans
Club Member

Postby hoys » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:29 am

abeans wrote:Very nice. I admire your quality of work.

Do you do some form of engineering/car modding for a living?

I used to work for an automotive electronic's company that was more OE facing. I've been modifying cars for about 10 or so years now and I've picked up a few tricks here and there, certainly not a professional by any means. Some of the work I did there for the aftermarket community is featured here:

https://www.motortrend.com/features/sky ... verything/

Wait till you see some of the stuff I'm working on for the new display though :)
hoys
Club Member

Postby hoys » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:03 pm

Was starting down the path of tuning the car and ran into some issues. Mainly that the base fuel pressure was way too high. Silly me picked too small of a fuel pressure regulator for the pump I have. It's pretty big in bold lettering on the product page but I didn't read it. Oh well.

Purchased a Turbosmart FPR1200 to deal with this issue. It's slightly bigger than the Radium Bosch-derived unit and requires a different mounting solution. I can probably make do with the bracket that comes with it, but figured I'd make a nice bracket.

Just got the adapter in hand and ordered the new bracket.

If you ever want to get some cool parts I highly suggest www.sendcutsend.com. Really affordable pricing and quick turn-around. They made my TB adapter plate as well as some other misc things I've needed. They also have a bending service that will be bending the bracket I designed!
hoys
Club Member

Postby hoys » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:12 pm

Some updates:

Completed bracket holding FPR:

It was the same price to order 5 of these as it was to order 1, so I have spares if anyone is interested.

Been driving the car a good bit after a decent base tune. I even put in a wee bit of boost to about 12psi. Car is suuuper fun. Dies off around 4,000 RPM, but that's about where the tuning stopped so it needs more work up top. I really just wanted to look at thermals and protect anything that was getting too toasty.

I modified the stock heat shield to fit over the turbine housing. Just had to cut the driver's side area to fit over the new center section fittings and it bolts right on. The alternator duct does not work any longer with the new downpipe. I might look into EPS and move the alternator to the position it is on the MR2. The oil drain from the turbo was also getting a bit too hot so I've ordered some fire sleeve to go over it.

The IATs are a bit high for my liking. I'm going to move a few things around and see if I can lower them.

I started to test fit the Mako Motorsports cluster with my ECUMaster ADU7. The ADU fits perfectly but the cluster doesn't fit well into the car. It is 3D printed so I could just shave it down, but I sent an email to Mako about the fitment with no reply (yet).

Hits pretty hard on both corners. It looks like from their rendering on the website there is supposed to be a chamfer here to allow it to fit. Mine doesn't have that.

hoys
Club Member

Postby Roreri » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:11 am

That color is sooooo sweet! Jealous. I saw Colorado Springs on the first post and got excited because I'm looking to retire there relatively soon, but then saw you're in Ohio.

Inspiring read. I have to find an a2w intercooler and get that done sometime. The previous owner did the CS hood and front bumper but kept the a2a. It gets hot.
Roreri
Club Member

Previous

Return to My Project