Serpentine belt
Flex pipe
Oil filter
Fluids
All new hoses, lines, AN connectors

I'll edit if I forget anything

Tippo

underscore":nd3lpv07 said:
I like how the hood and sunroof match haha.

Lol so true. I have a buddy quoting out body work next. Going to try to leave the TMIC and lightly mod the hood for it to fit. Right now he's got my SW20 MR2 turbo for rust, dent and hood repairs. Hammertime garage on insta.
Might put on the GT4-RC front bumper before hand though.

Tippo

So I'll do a comprehensive review of the gen4 in a ST185, but the power feels "clean" or "refined" if that makes sense. The KO street brawler definitely spools very late and it breaks up after 5k rpm but it pulls HARD. I'll need a standalone, most likely injectors and a tune for sure in the future.
Another thing to note is the gen4 3sgte is better feeling in the SW20 due to the weight difference. Our cars are SO heavy, so at some point Lazarus is going under the knife to trim some weight... definitely before body work. I suspect the 13 years sitting might have added a bunch of unwanted guests and foliage inside the car in places most people won't see. I've already pulled out a mouse nest the size of the taj mahal out of the HVAC system.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, this car is a marathon, not a sprint. With people like Tecker and the AT.net crew hanging around, this makes the job just that much better.

Roreri

That "clean" or "refined" power makes sense. More modern plant. Better ECU. More developed motor. I'm jealous a little.

I definitely agree that weight reduction (or avoidance by not having stuff like the sunroof and ABS in the first place) helps make these more enjoyable. Thrust to weight is a thing. When I realized that cars like the AE86 started out at like 2300lbs maximum, it made realize how thick these are--but..different platform for different purposes. The AllTrac will never be MR2 nimble, but it won't snakebite you either, and 4WD is something to consider.

I've noticed a change in how the Lorelei feels based on a spare tire delete (37lbs!), dumping unnecessary floor mats (3lbs!), rear seat delete (I just fold down the seat backs) (12lbs!), not hauling around stuff I don't need anymore like jumper cables and a tool bag now that it's demonstrated reliability (27lbs!), coilover set (16-20lbs dropped!) and adding the CF hood (30lbs!). The lightweight battery is on its way, too (28.6lbs!). Once I get to 3000 lbs curb weight (w/no fuel), that'll be my stopping point for a long while, because then it gets hard. But 2900lbs is my eventual goal.

But before that...FMIC with clocked turbo to safely achieve 15psi while minimizing turbo lag. Then it'll be as great as I'm looking to make this Gen2 3S-GTE, unless I put a slightly uprated turbo in it. It'll be modern sportscar powerful and nimble. 300bhp and 3000lbs is right there IMO.

My "problem" if you want to call it that--which your swap calls to my mind--is that my Gen2 3S-GTE is healthy and sub-50K miles. I think that by the time I need a new plant, even the Gen4s will be very old and hard to come by. My eventual plan is an entirely different route.

So, hats off to you and Tecker. You're on a hero's journey with Lazarus.

Tippo

Just a small update, bought a short shifter from Cosmos Racing since the throw was a little too large for my liking. Going to give this a try:

https://cosmoracing.com/en/toyota-celic ... trac-st185

Let me know if anybody had used this setup or the 90-91 setup before. I have almost no information to go off with this.

I initially went to the alltrac.net page here:

https://www.alltrac.net/tuning/shifter.html

None of these are available anymore. I really wanted to get the TWM, but yeah, their domain isn't even there haha. Anyways, I'll let everyone know how this one works out.

Oh also, some good news - Toyota released the TRD shift knob on amazon pretty darn cheap. So I got a few of em for the short shifter:

https://www.amazon.com/TOYOTA-Genuine-A ... 54&sr=1-15

Tippo

Forgot to do this, but installed the Air Charge Temperature Sensor.
Clearly the car isn't breaking up as much.

Attachments

• IMG_20220602_153728_361.jpg
    IMG_20220602_153728_361.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 444
  • PXL_20220602_193652946.jpg
    PXL_20220602_193652946.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 444

Roreri

Always cool to see folks’ approach to things.

I have given some thought to similar, but I always envisioned it right after the intercooler, as that temp would be most relevant, and the bung would be useful for a water-meth sprayer if I go that route.

For a short while I had an analog Bosch temp gauge zip tied up in the front corner of the engine compartment, with the probe positioned right next to the K&N cone filter, figuring that when I was doing my post-run heat gun checks of various points (Hood, IC, Turbo, Downpipe heat shield), I could glance over and get a quick check of how hot the charge air was at the filter before the turbo and IC (or InterHeater, depending!) got it.

Tippo

Roreri":377j4lni said:
Always cool to see folks’ approach to things.

I have given some thought to similar, but I always envisioned it right after the intercooler, as that temp would be most relevant, and the bung would be useful for a water-meth sprayer if I go that route.

For a short while I had an analog Bosch temp gauge zip tied up in the front corner of the engine compartment, with the probe positioned right next to the K&N cone filter, figuring that when I was doing my post-run heat gun checks of various points (Hood, IC, Turbo, Downpipe heat shield), I could glance over and get a quick check of how hot the charge air was at the filter before the turbo and IC (or InterHeater, depending!) got it.

There is one already in the intake manifold, this one is for the airbox. Some peeps leave them hanging in the engine compartment zip tied, some people put em directly in the air filter, some people put em before the turbo, I decided to chuck this one in the adapter housing right after the air filter. To me it looked like it belonged haha. Performance is waaaaaaaaaaaay better now... for obvious reasons :D

Roreri

Oh, I think I see now! I thought this was for a "for the human" tempo gauge. If I have you correctly, you put the charge air temp sensor that feeds the ECU right next to the filter.

Isn't fooling your ECU into setting timing based on that dangerous? I'd be worried that my ECU would just charge ahead into timing that would lead to detonation. Or am I mistaken?

alltracman78

That's where that sensor belongs. In the pre turbo piping. It's an intake temp sensor. All versions have it, they just include it in the AFM for the first 2.
There's a second intake temp sensor for the Gen III and up in the intake manifold.

Tippo":1xbau3g1 said:
Oh also, some good news - Toyota released the TRD shift knob on amazon pretty darn cheap. So I got a few of em for the short shifter:

I miss the old style TRD knob. I wish I'd picked a couple up way back when....

alltracman78

That's where that sensor belongs. In the pre turbo piping. It's an intake temp sensor. All versions have it, they just include it in the AFM for the first 2.
There's a second intake temp sensor for the Gen III and up in the intake manifold.

Tippo":1xg08eex said:

Tippo

alltracman78":7pk9onul said:

Tippo":7pk9onul said:

Yep, exactly. I think the spot I installed in is perfect.
As for the shift knob, that TRD knob was amazing. I had a few of em in the past, but I always sold them with cars. Wish I kept a few!

So nobody used Cosmo Racing in the past? Well, guess I can do a write-up and review when I get it, attempt the install and if all goes well - review it.

Roreri

I went ahead and snatched one of those TRD shift knobs up. The Lorelei has a rather inoffensive white cue ball atop the shifter, but what the hell.

There are four left at that link, now.

Tippo

Roreri":coiiwwxa said:
I went ahead and snatched one of those TRD shift knobs up. The Lorelei has a rather inoffensive white cue ball atop the shifter, but what the hell.

There are four left at that link, now.

Just an FYI, these are not the same size as the stock shift knob so you may have some metal shift lever showing if you use it without a short shifter. Tbh the ergonomics are still worth the skin showing. The reason why I bought this particular TRD knob was because of the short throw shifter I ordered. The TRD knobs that do fit our cars with the regular 92-93 throw are something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165355385624?h ... BMgKLhsaVg

This is making me wish I kept the few I had lol. Beware of cheap knockoffs.

Roreri

Well, yes. I would love one of those. $294. LOL

I didn't look too closely at the listing. Did they say "I know what I have?" That seems obligatory for that kind of price point.

I figure if I don't like the TRD knob, someone will want it and won't ask me to drop the price too much just for touching it.