Project ST165-ST205 Swap

Talk about your project car here

Re: Project ST165-ST205 Swap

Postby Roreri » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:09 pm

Lots of pics!

Your airport experience is typical, I think. It was a multi-day “wait do you have the papers?” then an all morning ordeal for me too. Standard 2022 bureaucracy, I deem.

For the front hood latch, you might consider a strip of black Gorilla tape or similar, because the metal to carbon fiber contact will cut the carbon fiber, eventually. I’m seeing it start, after a couple of months.

For the center vent grill, you might find a CS grill. But you might also encounter a unicorn on your daily walkabouts. I’d recommend sourcing some diamond hole punched thin stainless steel sheet, cutting it to pattern, maybe tacking on a frame about the outside edge with some tabs to attach it to the underside of the hood in the holes, and high temp painting it (before install).

The windshield washer nozzles for the CS/RC are high to get the stream over the hood spoiler along the windshield side. I have something from some other model, and I just set them in not all the way but angled up so they arc correctly. You’ll figure something out.

I hope your clear coat stays solid.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Roreri
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby zaluss » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:18 pm

Roreri wrote:Lots of pics!

Your airport experience is typical, I think. It was a multi-day “wait do you have the papers?” then an all morning ordeal for me too. Standard 2022 bureaucracy, I deem.

For the front hood latch, you might consider a strip of black Gorilla tape or similar, because the metal to carbon fiber contact will cut the carbon fiber, eventually. I’m seeing it start, after a couple of months.

For the center vent grill, you might find a CS grill. But you might also encounter a unicorn on your daily walkabouts. I’d recommend sourcing some diamond hole punched thin stainless steel sheet, cutting it to pattern, maybe tacking on a frame about the outside edge with some tabs to attach it to the underside of the hood in the holes, and high temp painting it (before install).

The windshield washer nozzles for the CS/RC are high to get the stream over the hood spoiler along the windshield side. I have something from some other model, and I just set them in not all the way but angled up so they arc correctly. You’ll figure something out.

I hope your clear coat stays solid.

Yeah I expect it will cut into it as well given how easy it was to drill out. I do expect to have to fabricate a grill sadly however Daniel is saying he is working on getting it replicated so we'll see.

I do see the hood spoiler in the RC/CS pictures https://storage.googleapis.com/wzukuser ... C_1619.JPG however since the 165 does not have a hood spoiler (and neither does the carbon hood), I should be able to get away with a normal windshield nozzle. Daniel suggested 85381-AA042 which is still available and inexpensive.
zaluss
Club Member

Postby zaluss » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:41 pm

So looks like the ST185 front strut brace does not clear the hood ironically enough despite clearing on the stock hood. Also I broke the hood release cable. That 30 year old plastic finally gave in :doh:
zaluss
Club Member

Postby simple » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:43 pm

Hey Mike since you are actively posting can you do me a favor and share a photo of how you mounted your intercooler pump? Also the heat exchanger? Thanks for sharing the hood info!
simple
Club Member

Postby zaluss » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:30 am

simple wrote:Hey Mike since you are actively posting can you do me a favor and share a photo of how you mounted your intercooler pump? Also the heat exchanger? Thanks for sharing the hood info!

Time to go back in timeeeee....

The bosch cobra pump fits quite nicely in the stock location using the stock mounting. I just used a boost hose clamp to secure it.

Heat exchanger is secured with threaded rods on the radiator support. I did this mostly because the existing holes on the frozen boost heat exchanger were not placed ideally without having to fabcriate some brackets. This worked perfectly.

I used some rubber standoffs to keep it upright against the radiator mount frame and used an old Focus ST intercooler shroud to force air around it.

zaluss
Club Member

Postby simple » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:32 am

Nice. Yeah using that hole that the stock heat exchanger line uses is my goal.
simple
Club Member

Postby zaluss » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:05 pm

zaluss wrote:So looks like the ST185 front strut brace does not clear the hood ironically enough despite clearing on the stock hood. Also I broke the hood release cable. That 30 year old plastic finally gave in :doh:

Dorman 912-100 is just the right length to replace any worn or broken hood release cables for the ST16x. I couldn't find any alternatives locally or online but it seems fine. The new cable slips right into the factory hood release on both sides.

It measures about half an inch longer than the stock cable.

The mid 90s Tacoma this was intended for seems to have a very similar hood latch system.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-912-100-R ... 159&sr=8-1

OEM part number for the Tacoma is 53630-04020 which should be identical if you want OEM. Pricing seems the same but I went with the Dorman due to local availability and the exact length was specified.
zaluss
Club Member

Postby zaluss » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:08 pm

Just got these manual folding mirrors back from paint and they look gorgeous.

Note for us in the US the original stock mirror overlaps quite a bit more than the folding mirror does as you can see in the last picture. It does mostly clean up but of course I have a small chip. I'm sure with some clay and polish it should be good.

zaluss
Club Member

Postby Roreri » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:56 pm

Man that’s nice looking. Folders for the win.
Roreri
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby zaluss » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:14 am

Finally sourced a ST185 RC grill from the UK. Cleaned it up, sanded, and painted.

Also met up with a couple of ST205's at a local show.

zaluss
Club Member

Postby simple » Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:20 pm

It looks so small compared to that generation. If I recall correctly it is slightly heavier somehow. Feel free to correct me
simple
Club Member

Postby Roreri » Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:32 pm

That’s such a unique look. Kudos to your success in pulling it off—took patience that’s for sure!

Also, need an ST185 with RC hood in the middle!
Roreri
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby zaluss » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:44 pm

simple wrote:It looks so small compared to that generation. If I recall correctly it is slightly heavier somehow. Feel free to correct me

Yep I think the ST205 is a few lbs lighter despite being a lot larger lol. However between the carbon hood and driveshaft, I think I have a bit of an edge lol.

Roreri wrote:That’s such a unique look. Kudos to your success in pulling it off—took patience that’s for sure!

Also, need an ST185 with RC hood in the middle!

I know we just need a ST185 around here!

I picked up this laser etched license plate on ebay. I think it looks a bit better than just a couple of black holes.

zaluss
Club Member

Postby underscore » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:13 am

I never realized a 6th gen was that much bigger than a 4th gen, that's crazy.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Previous

Return to My Project